What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iWorks presentations to Dropbox

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Am I being dopey or has Keynote, Numbers and Pages stopped us saving to Dropbox since iOS7 or is it me?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's still possible:

image-269692478.jpg

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Am I being dopey or has Keynote, Numbers and Pages stopped us saving to Dropbox since iOS7 or is it me?

Perhaps I'm just dopey but until the update you could just send it to a folder in the Dropbox but I don't seem to have that option anymore or perhaps it's just me having a brain fart!

I now only have 3 options when I press the square icon with an arrow pointing out of it, these are:

Share link via iCloud
Send a copy
Open in another App

And I've tried all those - I want to save a copy in my Dropbox - that's it!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Choose "Open in another app". Then you have to decide which format you want for this file. That done, you tap "Choose app". This will show you the apps that can open them. Choose "Dropbox", which will direct you to the app. There you can decide where in Dropbox to save it.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ta J A but for some reason they are saving to the Dropbox but they are not viewable in there and seem to be a new extension, for example, .key. zip where as before they were simply saved as .key?

It probably does not make much difference but I'm not sure?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does make a difference when it's saved as .zip file. Dropbox can't open them.
When you're already seeing this:

image-1641035830.jpg

(Pages file)
Then tap the name of the file to edit it and remove ".zip".

image-3812552560.jpg

Afterwards, choose the destination. If you don't want to save it to Dropbox in general, but to a folder inside it, tap the square net to "Destination" and decide where to store the file.
Hope that helps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ta J A but for some reason they are saving to the Dropbox but they are not viewable in there and seem to be a new extension, for example, .key. zip where as before they were simply saved as .key?

It probably does not make much difference but I'm not sure?

If you save a slide as a PowerPoint, it doesn't get the .zip extension. And, I honestly never tried to save as a Keynote to Dropbox before (I have a PC).

Have you tried to see what happens if you try to open the file in Keynote or remove the .zip part? Maybe it's just a Dropbox thing...?

Marilyn

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J A, Marilyn it is a we say sorted but what a pullava - Ta to you all, yet again.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I should tell you all out of interest that even if you save it as a .key.zip it still saves, or you can, as suggested remove the .zip bit and they save like they used to. Either way I'm sorted - oddly if they are .zip they actually end up about a third bigger! What was a 7-8 Mb pres ends up 10-11Mb when saved zipped.

This just seems a tad odd to me but Ta anyway.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is possible the DropBox app has not caught up to the new file formats, which were altered somewhat in the new iWorks versions to be more compatible with the OS X (Mac) versions of the apps. The .zip extension does not get added if you export using the PDF or .doc options.

A little more investigation show it happens with other apps as well: GoodReader and Box.

irritating.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts