What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ITunes shows different apps on different PCs

• Thread starter Deleted member 247820
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 247820

Hello all.
I have iPad2 and it has two PCs authorised with iTunes.
On one PC, iTunes shows listed all apps installed on iPad.
But the second authorised PC does not show listed all apps that are really on the iPad. Some are not in the list.
However the "missing" apps appear in the screen shots on the right of the list.
Does anyone know why this is so?
Big thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can authorize up to five PC's with iTunes, but that should not be confused with syncing your iPad. The iPad should be synced with only one computer. Doing otherwise will quickly lead to problems.

Depending on the computer's settings in iTunes, syncing your iPad will copy any newly purchased apps to iTunes. Those apps will not show up on the other computer unless you set it up to automatically download new purchases from iTunes. You can do this in the computer's iTunes Preferences, the Stores tab. There is a section called Automatic Downloads were you can choose to automate the downloading of new Books, Music, and Apps. When turned on iTunes will go t the iTunes store and download any new purchases you've made since that last time it was started.

You can do the same thing on your iOS devices under Settings > iTunes & App Stores.

This will only work with newly purchased apps.

If you want to copy older apps to the second computer use the Purchased link at the top of the right column on the main iTunes Store page. I don't see a big advantage to doing this, but it wouldn't be the first time I've overlooked a valid use case.

You can also upgrade all the apps on a computer by visiting the Apps section while in library mode. Choose the Updates section from the top and then either update apps individually or all at once.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

You can authorize up to five PC's with iTunes, but that should not be confused with syncing your iPad. The iPad should be synced with only one computer. Doing otherwise will quickly lead to problems. Depending on the computer's settings in iTunes, syncing your iPad will copy any newly purchased apps to iTunes. Those apps will not show up on the other computer unless you set it up to automatically download new purchases from iTunes. You can do this in the computer's iTunes Preferences, the Stores tab. There is a section called Automatic Downloads were you can choose to automate the downloading of new Books, Music, and Apps. When turned on iTunes will go t the iTunes store and download any new purchases you've made since that last time it was started. You can do the same thing on your iOS devices under Settings > iTunes & App Stores. This will only work with newly purchased apps. If you want to copy older apps to the second computer use the Purchased link at the top of the right column on the main iTunes Store page. I don't see a big advantage to doing this, but it wouldn't be the first time I've overlooked a valid use case. You can also upgrade all the apps on a computer by visiting the Apps section while in library mode. Choose the Updates section from the top and then either update apps individually or all at once.
Hi T Poet.
Big thanks for your reply.
I am aware of the 5 PC authorisations, for Apple one could say that is generous.
You say that one should not sync with more than one PC as it is good practice.
And you are probably right, but I have never seen anything written about only syncing with one PC, so I'm guessing that Apple give tacit approval at least.
For me I live between two places with a different PC in each so I would like to use both PCs as I would use one.
Alas if not possible, then so be it.
May I clarify one point?
ALL apps appear in both PC's iTunes.
The quirk is that in one of them, not all apps appear in the "Apps List" in the left pane.
All the apps appear in the "screen shots" in the right pane. I was just wondering why. Just a quirk of fate I think.
As you know better than me, syncing in iTunes is fraught with traps for us unwary.
Now I just open "Apps" in the iPad, touch "purchased" touch "Not on this iPad" and re install any that are missing.
So easy.
Thanks and best wishes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not a problem.

The apps in the left pane are the ones downloaded on your computer, and ready for installing, if not already. The ones in the right pane just show your Home Screen layout, whether the actually apps are on the computer or not. Though I have not tried it with the newest iTunes and iOS 7, you should be able to re-arrainge your Home Screen icons in the right pane, and they will sync that way.

When you plug an iPad into a second computer it should warn you that this iPad is not associated with this computer, or something like that. You can then choose to associate the iPad. Under old iTunes it would erase your iPad and reconfigure it with the new iTunes. I'm not sure what will happen with the new iOS and iTunes. This also removes the iPad's association with previous computer, so when you go back to that one, it starts all over.

Anyway, that's my experience. If you've had success using two computers to sync your iPad it's by a method I'm not familiar with.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Not a problem. The apps in the left pane are the ones downloaded on your computer, and ready for installing, if not already. The ones in the right pane just show your Home Screen layout, whether the actually apps are on the computer or not. Though I have not tried it with the newest iTunes and iOS 7, you should be able to re-arrainge your Home Screen icons in the right pane, and they will sync that way. When you plug an iPad into a second computer it should warn you that this iPad is not associated with this computer, or something like that. You can then choose to associate the iPad. Under old iTunes it would erase your iPad and reconfigure it with the new iTunes. I'm not sure what will happen with the new iOS and iTunes. This also removes the iPad's association with previous computer, so when you go back to that one, it starts all over. Anyway, that's my experience. If you've had success using two computers to sync your iPad it's by a method I'm not familiar with.

Hi T Poet.
I am using both iOS7 and the latest iTunes (11.1 I believe).
Yes I can rearrange my home screen from that right pane, pretty cool.
Yes I got the warning about previous authorisation, how ever it allowed me to authorise the second without disturbing the first.
So it looks like things have changed since you last tried authorisation.
Thus the beat goes on! I learn more each day.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Most reactions

Latest posts