Itunes reduce photo quality!!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Alexanderine, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Alexanderine

Alexanderine
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi
    When ever i try to sync my PNG photos from my Pc, i turn to ipad i i find that the images are reduced and converted to jpgs.
    I am using transparent images and it really is important for me to figure this one out.

Anybody has any idea what could be the problem here, am i not gonna be able to sync the images out of the pc in PNG formats as it is!!

Thank you in advance :)

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If you are using iTunes on the computer to sync albums, then the pictures are getting converted and optimized for viewing on the iPad. This method of syncing photos was never meant for anything more than viewing photos on the iPad. Other than keeping a collection of family pictures to show relatives, most of us have given up on using iTunes to sync photos. If for no other reason than you also have to use iTunes to edit or delete the photos and their albums.

If you need to transfer photos to the iPad as originals you can use several methods and/or apps. DropBox works fine, though you'll have to copy the photos from the DropBox app to the Photos app if you wan to use them in other apps.

I'm also fond of this PhotoSync app. It will let you transfer photos and videos between your computer and iOS devices. There is a free companion app for the computer which makes the job easier; though it's not required.

Lots of other apps as well. Search the forum or App Store for photo sync/transfer/management apps. The subject comes up a lot

3. Alexanderine

Alexanderine
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a lot i will give that ago

Sent from Tapatalk Pro for iPad

#3 Alexanderine, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No problem. Glad to help.

5. Alexanderine

Alexanderine
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It seems that if used these apps they will add the picture to the camera roll and not as albums, is that correct !?

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Oh, one other thing. I don't know if Apple has fixed it, but transparent png files often end up with weird thumbnails. It seems that the thumbnail files of older pictures can hang around, and a transparent png will overlay it's thumbnail on top of the old one. It's confusing, but it does not affect the actual pictures when you open or use it.

This might have been fixed in iOS 7. I haven't had a reason to play with transparent png files since the update.

7. Alexanderine

Alexanderine
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This is exactly what i mean from the very beginning, that only my png photos gets converted to rather a very poor quality images, and i seriously can not find a work around this except that i have to rebuild my photo library each time i update my ios, which is very frustrating.

I am actually on ios7

8. Alexanderine

Alexanderine
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Would it help if i removed the thumbnails files from my photos folder on pc and have it rebuild them, so are you actually able to transfer png images successfully from your machine to the ios device!?

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I'm only talking about the thumbnails. The little versions you see in list and other views that you click on to see the full sized picture. I've never had a problem with the actual image of the transparent png, as long as I don't use iTunes to sync it.

10. Alexanderine

Alexanderine
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh i understand, here is a question, are you able to build photo libraries on pc then sync them as individual folders!!

#10 Alexanderine, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014