What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal for safari?

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I've been reading the forum for a while now and I always saw people posting about how when you have one page open in safari and you open another page, it'll switch pages and load the second page and when you go back to the first page, safari will reload the page, however in my case, when I own multiple pages and click on one, they don't ever reload... They just act as if they're all open like a tab would.

Basically what I'm asking is, is it normal that when I have multiple pages open in safari, I can click on any of them and it'll go to that page without refreshing the page like it normally would?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multi tasking is there for selective Apple apps, just not multi tasking for all apps. In your case, it could just be a very fast reload making it seem to be still open, or it is open because its an Apple app. Even when multi tasking comes out in iOS 4.0, it will only be available for programs with a specific Apple code imbeded.

sunking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed that when I go from one "page" to another, it does not reload. Only if I clear the cache and have multiple pages open will it force a reload.

OP
C

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multi tasking is there for selective Apple apps, just not multi tasking for all apps. In your case, it could just be a very fast reload making it seem to be still open, or it is open because its an Apple app. Even when multi tasking comes out in iOS 4.0, it will only be available for programs with a specific Apple code imbeded.

I'll take a video of it on my phone and post it later.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes mine reload, and sometimes they do not. Not really sure what causes it to do either.

OP
C

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes mine reload, and sometimes they do not. Not really sure what causes it to do either.

Well then, I guess I got lucky because mine NEVER reloads. It always just stays as it was when I left it.

I now no longer really have a need to buy another browser for tabbing features.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the end I always come back to Safari anyhow, I never stay with one of the aftermarket browsers.

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are definitely lucky....the automatic reloading is extremely annoying at times.

OP
C

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised that it's not doing it... It's amazing not seeing it reload after every page switch.

joecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The page reloading also annoys me. Has anyone found out if it's possible to switch this off or why it does it? Would rather reload manually than wait for auto reloading when I've only switched away from a page for a few seconds. Thanks
Joe

CoachB007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally solved my iPad 2's tab refresh problem, it was so frustrating that I'm posting the answer here for anyone desperately searching Google for solutions. I switched Settings > Safari > Open New Tabs In Background to OFF. When I got my iPad I guess the setting was set to ON, turning it off worked for me. Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts