What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal? 1 hour of playing.

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you VERY MUCH for posting that link and info. It is good to see Apple publishing that publicly.

So if we redo the math using 1000, that means in 7.5 months you will see your time drop from 10 hours to 9.5 hours. Which is a heck of a lot better than my example :)

No problem :) I've written the same sort of posts as you did earlier on an Android forum trying to help folks who worry about their batteries. As you say, you can't change the "laws" that govern these things & lithium batteries last much better if you charge them "little & often" rather than deep cycling them.

The heat generated when charging a lithium battery, especially if it is being used to drive a screen (ie being used when charged), can be quite astonishing. Charging from 50% to 100% twice, generates a lot less "wear" on a lithium battery than one single charge from say 3% to 100%.

There are some interesting reports out there that suggest that battery life can be improved by quite a bit if you recharge at a discharge level of 40-60%

:)

Last edited:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
janner43 said:

It's the expression for Half-life (t½). How long it takes for something to be reduced to one half of its value over time.
Normally it's used to describe the rate of radioactive decay.

In other words, I was just being a smart alec. ;) One of my many character flaws I'm afraid.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's the expression for Half-life (t½). How long it takes for something to be reduced to one half of its value over time.
Normally it's used to describe the rate of radioactive decay.

In other words, I was just being a smart alec. ;) One of my many character flaws I'm afraid.

AA

Not a problem :), I wondered - which is why I asked :)

My Science Education ended at 16 - my Math got to 18. Then I joined the world of commerce & learned that a little knowledge & a friendly smile can get you a long way & help others to teach you what you didn't know. Or, as I used to teach my sales staff, "you have 2 ears & one mouth - guess which you should use more". :)

And anyway, I could never fall out with a fellow SF fan... :)

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
janner43 said:
Not a problem :), I wondered - which is why I asked :)

My Science Education ended at 16 - my Math got to 18. Then I joined the world of commerce & learned that a little knowledge & a friendly smile can get you a long way & help others to teach you what you didn't know. Or, as I used to teach my sales staff, "you have 2 ears & one mouth - guess which you should use more". :)

And anyway, I could never fall out with a fellow SF fan... :)

Agreed. :)

AA

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So as you use your device on simply a daily basis, if you discharge it once a day, you could see a battery life difference of 25% in just over 3 months.

Just a quibble:

Three months of one full discharge a day would only be between 90 to 93 cycles. If the battery degrades at the expected rate (given your 400 cycle example) that would be less than a 5% loss of capacity.

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a quibble:

Three months of one full discharge a day would only be between 90 to 93 cycles. If the battery degrades at the expected rate (given your 400 cycle example) that would be less than a 5% loss of capacity.

That depends on the math. 25% of 2 hours is 30 minutes. Which was the point of my example.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Sorry.

So you meant 25% of the 20% (2 hours) that you could expect to loose over the 400 cycles? That makes my head hurt. ;)

The both of you rattling this stuff off like it's the alphabet makes my head hurt. ;) I bow to your computation awesomeness.

Hey you guys aren't Cylons are you?

:)

AA

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry.

So you meant 25% of the 20% (2 hours) that you could expect to loose over the 400 cycles? That makes my head hurt. ;)

Actually I thought about doing the math straight up like you laid out but I wanted to give a sense of how much of an impact is really happening if you think a battery should be replaced once it hits 80% of capacity. On an iPhone 4S the difference between new and 300 cycle later is very dramatic. Well over an hour of usage is lost.

But I was glad to see the newer iPads are at 1000 cycles. For me that means I should get more than 4 years of use before I hit 500 cycles (recharge every three days).

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts