What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to view the full YouTube site?

Dahabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate being limited to the mobile site. Is there any way to work around this? Or an app that does?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
UAFaker allows you to set exactly what browser is reported to any site you visit, allowing access to full sites as opposed to mobile versions...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you go to the YouTube site in Safari, scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll see a link to Desktop. Tap it an you will be taken to the full desktop version of the site.

Alternately, and for web sites that don't offer Desktop version links, you can use the Atomic web browser. Once you load this app, go to the little gear icon, chose Identify Browser As, and choose what browser you want the website to think you are using. If you choose one of the non-mobile browsers, all web sites should show up in their full webtastic glory.

That's not to say that the iPad will necessarily work well with the site. There is generally a reason why those sites provide mobile versions, and it isn't always just about the screen size.

OP
D

Dahabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea but won't this just cause videos on the site to say that flash is required to view them?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yea but won't this just cause videos on the site to say that flash is required to view them?

And that is why they have an alternate mobile site that serves HTML5 video. I forgot about that.

There is a Trial HTML5 version of YouTube. It took me a while to convince it to work, but it seems to be doing the job. Here is the method I used to opt in, the one that worked anyway.

In the Atomic web browser, select the gear icon, change Identify Browser As to Safari Desktop.

Now go to "youtube.com/html5" by typing in the URL, without quotes.

Sign in using the link at the top right.

After signing in you should be back at the same page again. Go to the bottom and Join the HTML5 Trial.

After a moment or two this should change to Leave the HTML5 Trial.

Now tap on the YouTube link in the top left corner and watch some videos.

I have no idea if this will last from session to session.

For other sites you are probably stuck with the Flash enabled browsers like Skyfire or Puffin. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Most of the time they work, but not very well.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you go to the YouTube site in Safari, scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll see a link to Desktop. Tap it an you will be taken to the full desktop version of the site.

Alternately, and for web sites that don't offer Desktop version links, you can use the Atomic web browser. Once you load this app, go to the little gear icon, chose Identify Browser As, and choose what browser you want the website to think you are using. If you choose one of the non-mobile browsers, all web sites should show up in their full webtastic glory.

That's not to say that the iPad will necessarily work well with the site. There is generally a reason why those sites provide mobile versions, and it isn't always just about the screen size.

I like the fact that you can choose what browser you want to be identified as. Like you said, not all sites work well with ipad in different ways. Like on different forums, somw wont let u click on the post box on the bottom and you have to switch what u identified as. Atomic browser n full vrowser are great. They load up faster thn safari in most cases.

Most reactions

Latest posts