What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to stream music/photos/videos from a Macbook to an iPad?

danwright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is there an application that does this reasonably easily? Basically I want to have my Macbook w/iTunes and Home Sharing able to stream to my iPad music and to a lesser extent photos and videos.

I've tried orb but the performance leaves a little to be desired, even over a local area network and it'd be greater if it were free. I don't mind paying for an App that does this as long as it works well.

How are people managing this kind of functionality?

Thanks,
Daniel

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zumocast, plex, air video, splashtop remote, orb (which you mentioned) are a few.

OP
D

danwright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers. Zumocast is currently unavailable. Air video doesn't support audio file stremaing. Orb is buggy as hell. Splashtop Remote is more of a remote desktop app as far as I know.

This leaves plex, can anyone vouch for it? It seems decent but I don't want to shell out if it's a bit shitty.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Read the other day that zumocast had been bought out by motorola who intend to use it's streaming technology to augment it's moves into cloud storage.
Damn shame as I use it a lot and best of all it was free.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zumo is gone?? Bought by motorola?? That is a shame they are a horrible company that should have stuck with hardware!! Gotta make sure I backup my copy then.

While splashtop is a remote desktop app I use it everyday to listen to music, watch movies and view pics.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find StreamToMe extremely effective. Easy to set up and to use.

OP
D

danwright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stream to me is great. It'd be great if I could use it's audio functionality like the built in music player and allow it to play in the background as I do other things. With the way 'multitasking' is set up on 4.2.1 it'll stop playing as soon as you change apps.

I haven't JB'ed yet, but I assume this would allow the kind of functionality I desire?

iPad4christmas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi this one work for me:

A simple how to with air video can't add a link but just copy paste

howtogeek.com/howto/25276/stream-video-to-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch-from-windows-or-os-x/

Most reactions

Latest posts