What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to keep the iPad from shutting down while playing iPod music?

Prozit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want to set Auto Lock to Never because I will forget to change it back. When I am playing music through the iPod App the iPad locks and shuts down the music. Is there a way to set the iPad to not lock when playing the iPod App only?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the music will keep playing for the iPod app, only videos are disturbed.

what iPad do you have?

what firmware?

although those answers are not relevant, you shouldn't have this issue.

OP
P

Prozit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poser,

Thanks for the reply. I have an iPad2 running the latest version of the software 4.3.5 (8L1).

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poser,

Thanks for the reply. I have an iPad2 running the latest version of the software 4.3.5 (8L1).

ok....so what are you saying, if you play a track, and press sleep(top button), the music stops?

if i play a track(or playlist), and press sleep, my music keeps playing.

or if i press the home button(circle), my music keeps playing.....while i am in another app too.

the only way my music will stop is....if i press "stop" playing, start a video or the battery dies.

Nicodemus555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the risk of reviving an old thread.. When I am playing music the iPad locks and shuts down the music... this never used to happen, until a recent iTunes update. Cannot see how these are related. but the only thing that changed.

It used to play music and when Auto Lock kicked in just blank out the screen.. now it stops the music..argh.. little help..please?

TIA, - Nicodemus555

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the risk of reviving an old thread.. When I am playing music the iPad locks and shuts down the music... this never used to happen, until a recent iTunes update. Cannot see how these are related. but the only thing that changed.

It used to play music and when Auto Lock kicked in just blank out the screen.. now it stops the music..argh.. little help..please?

TIA, - Nicodemus555

What app are you using? With iOS 6, Apple quit letting music play on YouTube once iPad is in sleep mode.

But under iOS 6, music continues to play if you're listening via the native music app, Amazon's Cloud Player, TuneIn Radio, Pandora, Downcast and more. It also lets Audible audiobooks and white-noise apps play on even with iPad in sleep mode.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

TIA, - Nicodemus555

Are you streaming music over the Internet? If you are, the iPad shuts off WiFi when it goes to sleep, unless the charger is plugged in.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you streaming music over the Internet? If you are, the iPad shuts off WiFi when it goes to sleep, unless the charger is plugged in.

Are you sure about that? As soon as you wake the iPad the wifi is right there and ready to use. It doesn't seem to need to reconnect to whatever. Hmmmmm?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? As soon as you wake the iPad the wifi is right there and ready to use. It doesn't seem to need to reconnect to whatever. Hmmmmm?

It's a battery saving feature. The WiFi should disconnect unless it's being actively used, such as for streaming music.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What app are you using? With iOS 6, Apple quit letting music play on YouTube once iPad is in sleep mode.

But under iOS 6, music continues to play if you're listening via the native music app, Amazon's Cloud Player, TuneIn Radio, Pandora, Downcast and more. It also lets Audible audiobooks and white-noise apps play on even with iPad in sleep mode.

My iDevices continue to play music on apps I mentioned (even while streaming while in sleep mode). I can turn on Pandora and put my iPads into sleep mode and keep listening, for instance. No plugging in is needed. The only app that no longer works that way AFAIK is YouTube, and that happened with iOS 6.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... the iPad shuts off WiFi when it goes to sleep, unless the charger is plugged in.

If that were true, no push email or notifications would work while your iPad is in sleep mode unless plugged in, and that's not the case.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If that were true, no push email or notifications would work while your iPad is in sleep mode unless plugged in, and that's not the case.

WiFi shuts off when my iPads are asleep, unless they're plugged in, on my iPads, at least.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi shuts off when my iPads are asleep, unless they're plugged in, on my iPads, at least.

So if you have your email set to push and you get email while your iPad is in sleep mode, you don't get any emails?

The way it generally works: If your email is set to push, you'll hear an audio ping when email arrives, even in sleep mode (plugging in to charge not required). If wifi were asleep, how would you be getting any email, and then an alert? People have even complained because their iPads continued to ping while they had their iPads in sleep mode, because they didn't know how to turn off the audio pings. That's why Apple created the Do Not Disturb feature on iOS 6.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So if you have your email set to push and you get email while your iPad is in sleep mode, you don't get any emails?

The way it generally works: If your email is set to push, you'll hear an audio ping when email arrives, even in sleep mode (plugging in to charge not required). If wifi were asleep, how would you be getting any email, and then an alert? People have even complained because their iPads continued to ping while they had their iPads in sleep mode, because they didn't know how to turn off the audio pings. That's why Apple created the Do Not Disturb feature on iOS 6.

I don't have my email set to push, maybe that affects things?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have my email set to push, maybe that affects things?

It doesn't make a diff. I usually have my email set to manual instead of push, and I can still stream music while my iDevices are in sleep mode (without being plugged in). I gave the push email example as an indicator that your wifi keeps working even while your iPad is in sleep mode.

Most reactions

Latest posts