Is Mini 4 worth £100 more than Mini 2 for the processor?

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by ianpwilliams, Jan 26, 2016.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The iPad mini 4 will also be supported and continue to receive iOS updates for longer than the iPad mini 2. One of the biggest advantages of the cellular version of any iPad model is that it has the GPS chip and can be used for offline navigation even without a data plan as long as you're using a navigation app that allows you to download the maps you need while still on WiFi.

#21 scifan57, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Tommy96

Tommy96
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I see. I guess I'm just going to have to dig deeper into my pockets (I mean my credit card lol) and pay the extra for a 64gb mini 4. Thanks for the info, btw.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Because the iPad hardware cannot be upgraded after purchase, it's normally better to buy the highest specification you can afford, based on your current and projected future needs. The final decision is, of course, up to the person making the purchase.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Tommy96

Tommy96
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    An iPad wasn't even on my radar until I got my first iPhone in March. This was then quickly followed by a 32gb Air 1 (cellular version). I was thinking of getting a Mini 2, but I was told that the Air is slightly better. Plus I didn't want a top of the range iPad for my first experience.

However, I had no idea how addictive this iPad was going to be! I bought a Tecknet Bluetooth keyboard which has transformed my Air into a small laptop...which means I use my real laptop less often.
    A Mini 4 would be my "take anywhere" iPad I think - just like a small tablet from another brand.

5. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I had a deal on my ipad 2 mini 32gb silver. It was $259 us dollars buy online in pick up in store. it was from Wal-Mart.

6. speedlever

speedlever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The processor question is a good one. I had the 32GB/Mini2 that had the home button die when it was just over 2 years old. I was rather surprised at the hardware issue. The cost to repair did not make sense. My home remedies had resurrected it once, but not the 2nd time.

For better or for worse, I traded it in on a 9.7 iPad Pro/128GB and am very pleased with it. The processor difference is noticeable.

And if you play games, the processor difference can be a major issue. The mini2 (A7?) processor would barely handle CSR2 after the upgrade to iOS 10. The processor in the iPad Pro (A9X?) handles that game wonderfully.

Fortunately, I found a good sale on the iPad Pro 9.7 at the time my mini2 died and got a fair trade in on an otherwise pristine mini2, so the cost impact wasn't as severe as it might have been.

7. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure all mini 2's are not the same. If this was a major issue I'm sure that apple would have recalled it.