Is Mini 4 worth £100 more than Mini 2 for the processor?

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by ianpwilliams, Jan 26, 2016.

1. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I was pretty much set on getting the 16GB (won't need more than that) WiFi (don't need 3G) Mini 2, along with a Griffin Survivor case, because I like them.

But then I started considering spending the extra £100 for the equivalent Mini 4 instead. Problem is the Griffin Survivor for the Mini 4 is nearly twice as much (£45) as the customer-return Griffin Mini 2 that I've got my eye on (£25), and £45 is a hell of a lot for a case. So it would be a good £120 more overall.

The only upgrade that appeals to me on the Mini 4 is the upgraded processor, but even then I'm guessing that that might only be noticeable if playing high-end games, something which I wouldn't do (I've got my PC for that).

So really it's a case of deciding whether it would be worth paying the extra £120 or so for the better processor? Any thoughts?

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Just ordered my wife a 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad Mini 4 (to replace her original Mini) which will be a major upgrade for her, especially w/ the retina screen, much faster processors, and fingerprint technology (she has an iPhone 6 for a decent camera along w/ Apple pay). So, your main decision is as stated previously.

Personally if a strict budget is the issue, I'd buy a cheaper case and jump the storage from 16 GB to 64 GB (32 GB is not an option which I likely would have bought for her) - keep in mind that you'll only get about 12 GB of useable storage, just not enough these days for the modern iDevices. Dave :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Problem is if I upgrade the memory as well then it's a very big jump from the £220 16GB Mini 2 (or even from the £260 32GB Mini 2) to the £399 64GB Mini 4. And it's not surprising that Apple chose not to make a 32GB Mini 4 so that people would spend more. (It's things like that that actually make me want to spend less). I'll just think about it for a while longer.

Thanks for the help.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yep, about $100 USD jump from 16 to 64 GB (but less than the previous 16 to 32 leaps in storage) - 32 GB would be a 'sweet spot' for my wife's new iPad Mini but not a choice - but you'll be back here complaining about a 16 GB device in no time, unless you plan on having limited apps, no music, no videos, and few books/mags - could continue. Good luck in your thinking and please return if you have further questions. Dave :)

6. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it'll take a bit of thinking this one. Thanks again.

7. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm now looking at either a new 32GB Mini 2 or a preowned 64GB Mini 4, and I'm leaning towards the latter. Normally I wouldn't go preowned with something like this, but it's a reputable high street seller, grade A condition (supposedly "mint"), and with a 2-year warranty. I can't justify spending £400 on a new one (preowned is£70 less), and I can even spend a lot less than that by trading in various games and DVDs. And my hope is that a preowned Mini 4 wouldn't be slow because the Mini 4 is a new model.

8. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm basically set on the Mini 4 now.

I was also planning on buying the Griffin Survivor case. However, it has occurred to me that there are cases out there which double as Bluetooth keyboards, such as this one:

iPad Mini 4 Keyboard, JETech® Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Case for Apple iPad Mini 4 with 360 Degree Rotation and Multi-Angle Stand iPad Mini 4 Keyboard, JETech® Wireless Bluetooth: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

A keyboard would be really useful to me for certain apps. But I can't see how a keyboard/case could be used in conjunction with the Griffin. And I would guess that a case such as the one above wouldn't protect the screen as much as the Griffin.

So is it going to be a case of choosing between the Griffin and a keyboard/case combo? And if so, do the keyboard/case combos give reasonable protection?

Also, how do you know what keyboard/case combo to go for? The one I linked to is really quite cheap compared to some others, and it gets good reviews, so I can't see why I would need to spend two or three times as much.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello again - good decision on the iPad Mini 4 - I hope that you decided to go w/ 64 GB of storage? :)

My wife's Mini 4 arrived three days ago and setup that same night - I bought her the non-Apple 'smart case' shown below - looks great and she is loving the device. As to a KB, we use the separate Apple model but just not that often for us to warrant having a physical keyboard in some type of combo case. So, I cannot offer any specific recommendations except to read the reviews, pick your price range, and if possible visit some stores which offer different types of iPad cases (w/ or w/o a KB) to assess some in person. Dave
    Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 3.08.58 PM.png

10. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes, going for 64GB.

It seems to me like the Griffin would only be good if I never intended to use a Bluetooth keyboard, because although a keyboard would no doubt work, the iPad plus Griffin plus keyboard would mean bulkyness.

Your case is nice, protecting the screen and acting as a stand (and presumably folding underneath too if needed). But no keyboard.

There is this one which tries to be both:

IVSO Apple iPad Mini 4 Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Apple iPad Mini 4 Tablet (Black) IVSO Apple iPad Mini 4 Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Apple iPad Mini 4 Tablet (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I can't tell if the keyboard is removable or not, but if it is then I wonder if it could be used as a case regardless of whether the keyboard is there or not. That way it would be like your case when it was without the keyboard, but with the option of still being a case with a built-in keyboard. What do you think?