What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it ready yet?

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it safe to update to 5.01 yet? I've been holding off. Can I sync my iPad without updating the OS?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't really answer the first part - only the user can decide when/if to upgrade. I can tell you that I've been using 5.0.1 for a couple of weeks now with no trouble. So, there's that bit of anecdotal data...

And, you can always sync with iTunes without updating; just refuse the iTunes offer to update. In fact, I've turned off my notifications so that iTunes doesn't ask me every time (you can select "don't ask me again" in the pop-up).

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
J

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Why wouldn't it be safe?

I've heard from more than one person that some of their apps don't work well after the update.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might be better to wait if you're not in a hurry. Some users are still experiencing battery problems that weren't resolved even by 5.0.1 (which was supposed to fix iOS 5), and apparently might not be resolved even with the 5.1 upgrade, which is in beta now:

AppleInsider | iPhone battery woes persist with Apple's first iOS 5.1 beta

Users have reported various other problems as well. But up to you and your needs, of course.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it safe to update to 5.01 yet? I've been holding off. Can I sync my iPad without updating the OS?

Safe for what? Some of the issues related to updates are operator issues whom perhaps not following the steps. I have up dated from day one with no issues and if there are challenges , then it can be fun and easily be corrected. Update and enjoy...

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, if you have an iPad 1, they appear to be more prone to low-memory problems than iPad 2 (which has more memory) under iOS 5 and 5.0.1, which causes some apps to crash more frequently than under previous versions on iOS.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps, however I have experienced the same on both of my iPad 1 and 2. Some apps are more crash prone than others, thus
Updating on a regular basis is a good practice.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps, however I have experienced the same on both of my iPad 1 and 2. Some apps are more crash prone than others, thus
Updating on a regular basis is a good practice.

My iPad 1 and 2 are always updated, because I'm anal. I find Safari crashes most now. Bummer, because it used to be stable.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never missed an update and in most cases the same day of release and have never regraded it. I trust and believe in apple as I am an avid Techie..

Most reactions

Latest posts