What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is it possible to restore firmware on a jailbroken ipad I without shsh blobs saved?b

boost2029

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there!

My ipad is giving me headaches and I would like to make the "wipe all and reinstall" method that works so well on a windows pc. My problem is that after reading post on how to do this I dunno if I can do it..

If I understood well I should put the ipad in DFU mode and hit the restore button in iTunes, but if I didn't save my shsh blobs before jailbreaking my ipad, am I screwed? Or shsh blobs have nothing to do with restoring?

Sorry if I'm messing with concepts and thanks for the help!!

sutty0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you put your iPad into DFU amd restore you'll be on the latest iOS version 4.3.4. That you don't have any SHSH blobs you cannot downgrade to a particular firmware unfortunately. You'll be stuck at 4.3.4 which doesn't have an unthethered jailbreak :(

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are possibly out of luck, but you need to give more details please.

What model iPad, version of iOS, and jailbreak at the moment?
And, when you open Cydia what does the top line in green say about your SHSH blobs. There should be some numbers, hopefully 4.3.3?

OP
B

boost2029

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks much for the replies!!

here is the requested info:

Model -> iPad wifi 3G
iOS -> 4.3.3
jailbreak -> 4.3.3 untethered using Redsn0w 0.9.6RC16
Cydia -> SHSH: iOS 4.3.3

there is any hope..?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The good news is you are fine with that setup.

All you need to do is point yourself towards Cydia or use TinyUmbrealla and you will be good to go. TU is probably the easiest for speed.

1. Download the latest TU from here - The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella
2. Connect your iPad, start TU, and switch to the "Advanced" tab, and TICK the 2nd & 3rd boxes which relate to Cydia.
3. Press "SaveSSH" button on the top right - This lets TU retrieve your 4.3.3 blobs from Cydia
4. Now UNTICK the 2nd & 3rd boxes and then press "SaveSSH" again - This should get 4.3.4 and 5.0 beta blobs from Apple and leave you set up for later.
5. Press "Start TSS Server" and leave TU running until the end of the process.
6. Download 4.3.3 firmware for your device from here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html - MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ONE FOR YOUR DEVICE!
7. Put your iPad into DFU Mode - See here for help - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html
8. Start iTunes and when iTunes recognises your device in recovery mode, dismiss the dialogue, then HOLD the shift key (option key on OSX) and click "restore". This will let you choose the firmware file to restore, and you should choose the one you downloaded in step 6!

That's it. TU should work it's magic and restore a clean 4.3.3. Then you just need to jailbreak again. You could use redsn0w or simply visit jailbreakme.com on Safari on the iPad and you will be jailbroken in seconds. Its worth trying it to see how easy it is!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
B

boost2029

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O-M-G it worked!! you saved my iPad!!

as I sayd I forgot to save my SHSH blobs before I jailbroke my ipad a few months ago, then when I realized this I tryed to use TinyUmbrealla but it sayd something like "sorry, it's too late". I undestand that Cydia saved the blobs and now TinyUmbrealla got those, so having them stored in my PC I can jailbreak without doing nothing more.. right?

thanks a lot for your valuable help!!

umr_89z

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are possibly out of luck, but you need to give more details please.

What model iPad, version of iOS, and jailbreak at the moment?
And, when you open Cydia what does the top line in green say about your SHSH blobs. There should be some numbers, hopefully 4.3.3?

If my SHSH in Cydia 4.3.5 but my iOS version is 4.3.3, what i've to do?
thanks for any help..

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
umr_89z said:
thanks for any help..

If you have an iPad1 you should use iFaith to save your blobs. details are in our SHSH FAQ Sticky.

Tonycs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for any help..

I'm facing a similar issue right now. My Ipad2, Wifi+3g GSM jailbroken, has the iOS version listed as 4.3.3. However at the top of the Cydia home screen, it only lists SHSH IOS 4.3.5. I have ran TU on my PC, and the only blob that I could get from Cydia is 4.3.5.

I would like to restore it back to 4.3.3 un-jailbroken, but am unsure whether I can still retrieve the 4.3.3 blobs. Is 4.3.3 still the version in my Ipad2? If yes, is there any other way to save its blob and restore it back to its un-jailbroken state? Its a shame the iFaith does not work on the Ipad2.

Most reactions

Latest posts