What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible? - pllllease help?

Arthur11111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible that an iphone will redownload an app that was deleted from the phone when it syncs. The app is in iTunes but was deleted from the phone. The "Automatically install new apps" check box is ticked. Next to the app in question is "install" not "will install" so I assumed the "Automatically install new apps" check box would not redownloaded to my iphone when it syncs?

Please help...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible, although it shouldn't be. There are several user who experience the same.

Look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/itunes-what-is-automatically-install-new-apps.120198/
That feature is discussed there as well.

If you don't want apps you deleted on your iPhone synced back again, uncheck "Automatically install new apps".
Also disable "Apps" in Settings - iTunes & App Stores - Automatic Download. (I hope it's the same on an iPhone.)

Btw:
Welcome to iPF!

Last edited:
OP
A

Arthur11111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible, although it shouldn't be. There are several user who experience the same.

Look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/itunes-what-is-automatically-install-new-apps.120198/
That feature is discussed there as well.

If you don't want apps you deleted on your iPhone synced back again, uncheck "Automatically install new apps".
Also disable "Apps" in Settings - iTunes & App Stores - Automatic Download. (I hope it's the same on an iPhone.)

Btw:
Welcome to iPF!
Hey, thanks so much for this info. I wanted to know if this was still possible though even when the settings are set to "install" not "will install" on the button next to the app.

The reason being is that I deleted the app again and then synced but it did not download back to the phone again? So the question is can it re-download but then with no change to the settings not download again once I sync the phone the next time?

Your help is making a bi difference I really appreciate it.

Best :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can, of course, set iTunes to reinstall the app on your next sync. That is what 'should' happen when the button next to the app says "Will Install".

However, it's an overly complicated way to get just one app back.

• Open the App Store on your iPhone.
  • Tap the Updates tab at the bottom.
  • Tap the Purchased item at the top of the list.
  • Tap "Not on This iPhone"
  • Scroll until you find the app you want
  • then tap on the cloud symbol next to it.

The app will download. You may have to look around a bit. The default Home screen for new downloads appears to be the first Home screen that has more than one or two free spaces available. It almost never fills the last open space on a Home Screen.

Good luck.

OP
A

Arthur11111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can, of course, set iTunes to reinstall the app on your next sync. That is what 'should' happen when the button next to the app says "Will Install".

However, it's an overly complicated way to get just one app back.

• Open the App Store on your iPhone.
  • Tap the Updates tab at the bottom.
  • Tap the Purchased item at the top of the list.
  • Tap "Not on This iPhone"
  • Scroll until you find the app you want
  • then tap on the cloud symbol next to it.

The app will download. You may have to look around a bit. The default Home screen for new downloads appears to be the first Home screen that has more than one or two free spaces available. It almost never fills the last open space on a Home Screen.

Good luck.
Thanks for this but one question if the button is set to "install" will it install on a sync or only ever when it is set to "will install"? I need to make sense of something...

Appreciate the help very much here :)

cheers Nick

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's meant to install with "Will Install" when syncing. "Install" shouldn't do anything.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for this but one question if the button is set to "install" will it install on a sync or only ever when it is set to "will install"? I need to make sense of something...

Appreciate the help very much here :)

cheers Nick

Yes, it is a bit confusing. If the buttons say something simple like Install, or Remove, then they are action buttons. Clicking them changes them to something like Will Install, or Will Remove, becoming more like notification buttons; telling you what will happen on the next sync.

There is no obvious way of telling what they mean other than experimentation, experience or asking. I consider it a minor UI design error on Apple's part.

You can always click on the button and see how it changes, then change it back if that is not what you intended.

Richardson coy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible that an iphone will redownload an app that was deleted from the phone when it syncs. The app is in iTunes but was deleted from the phone. The "Automatically install new apps" check box is ticked. Next to the app in question is "install" not "will install" so I assumed the "Automatically install new apps" check box would not redownloaded to my iphone when it syncs?

Please help...
Yes it is possible. Sync process will automatically grab it.

Most reactions

Latest posts