What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPod App playback control

OaklandRobb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I did not synch my music with my iPad, (It still resides only on my computer) I used the iPod App on my iPad to play my music on my home theater system using Apple TV and AirPlay. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to select playback options in the iPod App, such as Play All in Shuffle Mode. Is there a way to do that from my iPad? I looked at Settings for iPod and found no help there. And there don't seem to be any menus, or settings options within the iPod App itself. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Robb

Reaction score
Shuffle:
Select a song from the iPod app. The app should transform to a black theme. Now look for the 'two-crossed arrows' symbol, it is turned on when it shines blue. The symbol is located below the play/next button.
Play All:
I dont think this is possible, you can only play all songs by one artist. To do so:
Enter Artist selection (when on the grey theme), select your artist and then select the Play all songs option, located in the top right corner.
A work-around is to create a playlist in which your whole library is in, then you can just select that playlist and it should play your whole library at once.

Last edited:
OP
O

OaklandRobb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the reply. I didn't notice the shuffle symbol yesterday, but I will definitely look for it when I get home from work this evening.

For Play All, I can certainly work with my existing Playlists in iTunes which show up in the iPad App, or any of the views that exist, i.e. Artist, Album, Genre, etc.

Thanks again.

Robb

OP
O

OaklandRobb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not using the Remote App. I'm not sure, but I think that is only useful if I have my music content on my iPad, which currently I do not. With the iPod app, I don't have to. I am using Home Sharing so the iPod App sees all my content on my computer and shows it just as if it were stored locally. And then I have the AirPlay control right within the iPod app. Unlike running Pandora, I don't even have to go to the multitasking bar to invoke AirPlay

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
OaklandRobb said:
I am not using the Remote App. I'm not sure, but I think that is only useful if I have my music content on my iPad, which currently I do not. With the iPod app, I don't have to. I am using Home Sharing so the iPod App sees all my content on my computer and shows it just as if it were stored locally. And then I have the AirPlay control right within the iPod app. Unlike running Pandora, I don't even have to go to the multitasking bar to invoke AirPlay

I get it! Remote can do more than that. With it you can control your apple tv or your iTunes computer. You don't need your media files to be on your devices. It let's you take control of iTunes, start playing locally on the computer or redirect via AirPlay to your apple tv. So your computer is doing the job, not your iPad/iPod... So you can start a playlist on iTunes, and close your iPad, leaving iTunes streaming to your apple tv.

And you can access your home share directly from your apple tv also. Just activate home sharing on your apple tv, it will find your iTunes computer and then you can browse/select on your TV, no iPad needed...

VicoPad addict!

Last edited:
OP
O

OaklandRobb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. I tried using Remote and it started playback from my computer exactly as you said. But I couldn't figure out how to do your second step of redirecting the playback with AirPlay to my AppleTV. I will have to try that again.

In terms of just using Apple TV and finding my computer, sure, I had that working. But the UI is terrible for selection. Very slow and clunky. But if I just want to play everything, it works, and as you say, doesn't tie up my iPad.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
OaklandRobb said:
Interesting. I tried using Remote and it started playback from my computer exactly as you said. But I couldn't figure out how to do your second step of redirecting the playback with AirPlay to my AppleTV. I will have to try that again.

In terms of just using Apple TV and finding my computer, sure, I had that working. But the UI is terrible for selection. Very slow and clunky. But if I just want to play everything, it works, and as you say, doesn't tie up my iPad.

When you start playing a file, go in Playing... You will see the icon to send via AirPlay at the top...

See screen capture:

VicoPad addict!

Attachments

• image-1325226963.png
    image-1325226963.png
    479.3 KB · Views: 298

Most reactions

Latest posts