What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone and iPad-best practices

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I now have a 4s to compliment my iPad. I want to use all the toys I can. I'm 100% positive others know more about tying the devices together than I do...so why not ask the experts, right? :)

For a couple years I have used google to keep calendar and contacts synced to multiple devices. This is still acceptable, both get multiple calendars seamlessly. My iPad is wifi only, but iMessage is fine...only for other iOs users I assume. I was wondering it uploading pictures to iCloud would make that more automatic to have one place to put pictures and have them show on both. I have iOs5 on both, so I could just set up wifi itunes sync I suppose. Suggestions?

What else should/could I be doing to make things a better experience? I haven't tried yet, but will my apps sync when most are iPad version? Would I have to re-purchase apps? Can I have game progress sync?

edit-removing the hotspot question. Found it.

Last edited:

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only the iPhone or universal apps will sync. You really start to appreciate devs who do that when you have both!

And most games don't sync saves between devices but a few do. Hopefully more soon with iCloud.

OP
U

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluesjam said:
I would use iCloud for your contacts. That way it will always be up to date on everything.

Why wouldn't google be up to date? I have it set up on my I devices as exchange, seems to work well.

guthrien said:
Only the iPhone or universal apps will sync. You really start to appreciate devs who do that when you have both!

And most games don't sync saves between devices but a few do. Hopefully more soon with iCloud.

That was a bit of a letdown, but I will live. I was really under the impression they would compliment each other more than it looks like they will.

Can I allow others to use my cloud? My ex has a 3GS, maybe we could each upload only kid pics there and it could sync both?

Most reactions