What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 to tv

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might have a movie on your iPad and be at a friends. I have hdmi out on my phone, that's the only time I used it. I did enjoy angry birds on a 42 inch tv once, but it's a novelty.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you first need to get your videos onto the iPad2 - there are numerous options; I've converted 4 DVDs using software on my computer and then transferred via iTunes - there are plenty of threads on this topic, so some searching will help.

Second, an iPad2 adapter is needed; Apple offers several - I purchased the HDMI adapter mentioned by Gabriel and shown below (left); of course, you will also need a male-male HDMI cable to connect the adapter to your HDTV (assuming that there is an HDMI input; if so, just select that connection to watch on your TV) - seems to work for me although the reviews on the Apple Store have been mixed. Good luck - :)

MC953
high-end-hdmi-cable.jpg

OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you first need to get your videos onto the iPad2 - there are numerous options; I've converted 4 DVDs using software on my computer and then transferred via iTunes - there are plenty of threads on this topic, so some searching will help.

Second, an iPad2 adapter is needed; Apple offers several - I purchased the HDMI adapter mentioned by Gabriel and shown below (left); of course, you will also need a male-male HDMI cable to connect the adapter to your HDTV (assuming that there is an HDMI input; if so, just select that connection to watch on your TV) - seems to work for me although the reviews on the Apple Store have been mixed. Good luck - :)

MC953
high-end-hdmi-cable.jpg

This isnt working for me and I cant figure out why. My tv is just not recognizing ipad at all. Any ideas.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

MC953
high-end-hdmi-cable.jpg

This isnt working for me and I cant figure out why. My tv is just not recognizing ipad at all. Any ideas.

Sorry about your problem - there were some negative comments about the iPad HDMI adapter on a number of sites that I reviewed w/ some not being able to make the adapter work properly - :(

I'm assuming that you have selected the correct HDMI input option on your HDTV? If so, you might try the combo on another HDTV just to see if you particular setup might be the issue?

Just not sure - hope others will 'chime in' to help - good luck! :)

OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after trying countless different combinations including different tvs and hdmi cables it finally dawned on me that the HDMI adapter I had did not have any Apple logo on it. I bought it from a internet store (cellphones.net) or something like that. I chose that route cause it only cost $19.99. So today I went to Best Buy and bought an Apple licensed adapter and low and behold it worked like a charm. The original adapter was either ipad 1 only or it was just a cheap piece of plastic made in China.

But I guess I am never satisfied because one of the main reasons I wanted this ipad to tv capability was so that I could watch all the back series on HBO GO. No deal! All I got was the HBO GO logo on the screen and the soundtrack playing in the background.

So now I will debate wheter or not to keep this adapter or return it for the $39.00 it cost me.

Thanks Giradman for your information, you put me on the right path.

........rick

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read my previous post, that is your best go at it, can't get better than that.

That cheap adapter should work on a jailbroken iDevice.
The hdmi adapter to me, is for when I do need to hardwire.

OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well i basically can do all that now with the adapter. besides whats the apple tv cost, like $100! It will probably still block hbo go.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well i basically can do all that now with the adapter. besides whats the apple tv cost, like $100! It will probably still block hbo go.

how long is your cable?

i sit about 15-20 ft away from the television, where i enjoy the quality...now picture me viewing something on the iPad(maybe safari) and wanna share with others, but on the big screen, but i don't wanna be limited to a short cable or any cable to be exact, this is where that wireless connectivity come in(apple tv)......now for music, i can have my device playing music from my pocket(anywhere in the house), thru apple tv, which is connected to my surround sound.

not to mention the many other things an apple tv is capable of, do your research.

oh, and a jailbroken apple tv, works wonders.....only if you knew what i know.

please try to know what iOS 5 is, coming this fall.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts