IPAD2 Camera, Worse than ever!

Discussion in 'iPad Reviews' started by Kidefranco, Apr 20, 2011.

?

Is your Ipad2 camera terrible and grainy?

1. Yes

72.2%
  2. No

27.8%
  1. tremblayd

tremblayd
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The ipad 2's camera is horrible at night but I think its perfect at day. Try using it outside during the day. 

2. Ronfromcocoa

Ronfromcocoa
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    camera

I love the pics I get with my ipad , but then again I did not expect a nikon quality............

3. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I occasionally read about how cumbersome and bothersome it is to use the iPad as a camera. Something about holding that large flat thing being too difficult. Coming from a Graflex/Crown Graphic background, a large sized "camera" like the iPad 2 is a walk in the park. Some of you are so young, you think all cameras must be small and measured in megapixels. So very sad, Smiley.

Try schlepping a vintage steel, wood, and cast iron tripod up the hill along with an 8 x 10 view camera and a bag of film holders and get back to me. Smiley.

As for the camera its'self, it is not very good in my view. Remember, I am old and crabby, so you kids better listen to your Uber-Elders for we know.

4. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the Forums.

Isn't your IMAC a desktop computer? Not the same as a camera. The camera in your iPad has a lens, a something else, and several Keebler Elves working hard to create image magic. Not sure your comparison is fair because your iMac is not a camera. Or is it?

Quality depends on many things and when you have lots of experience in the lab and you spent your youth behind truly fine cameras, no digital camera is good enough. For some, their multi-thousand digital wonder takes spectacular images. They are happy. For others, it is not even close when they compare Apples and Robots to Linhofs and Kodak Master View Cameras with Ektars.

Not sure Apple intends their iPad to be a camera. Rather, it is Facetime oriented. It is terrible way to take good images, but the word 'good' is in itself a problem depending on what is meant by good.

5. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    The problem with these debates is this: everyone has different needs and requirements and what works for me likely will never, ever work for you.

To say the camera quality is sub-par is something I can do because I know what a great image looks like and what it often requires to produce. And I am comparing the digital images to images on film and looking at things like highlights and shadow detail, sharpness, depth of field, etc. But that is just me.

For those with lesser needs, most modern cameras are workable. The camera in the iPhone is a good one but it would never be my choice.

I always opt for film, but film is not as fast as digital. By fast, I mean from camera to upload or print. No stinky chemicals and few here likely know their way around a darkroom, Smiley. They do not need to these days because their digital cameras do not need a darkroom. One could go for a large format film camera for quality, but after processing, the images must be scanned and that removes film from most people's consideration.

To say this is better than that requires further information; to say the quality of this is better than that also requires definition so we know what quality means to you.

6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Funny, because two people have commented on the great quality of the iPad camera when we've Skyped. That's what it was designed for, so that's where my expectations rested. If Apple had bragged about camera quality, that would be different.

I don't go around comparing it to cameras of old, either. That's like buying a car today and saying it's better than a Model A. Well, no kidding.

7. NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I used my iPad all over Ireland for taking pictures and the pictures were good, not the sAme as my Nikon but certainly good and I was able to send them immediately, post, etc which I can't do with my Nikon. And I do think the quality has improved a bit since the update actually! Video is great.

8. hazeline

hazeline
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The iPad2 rear camera is only around 1MP. Very bad picture quality. I even give up on taking pictures with iPad. My iPhone 4 takes great pictures and videos.

I did some search and found the following spec from other web.

Using Photo Shack Pro, I get the following:

Rear Camera: 960 x 720 pixels (0.7Mp), 72 x 72 DPI, Focal Length 3.85, 1/15, f/2.4, ISO 800

Front Camera:640 x 480 pixels (0.3Mp), 72 x 72 DPI, Focal Length 3.85, 1/15, f/2.4, ISO 2000

9. Asharp

Asharp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The camera is quite useful for copying documents that I later convert into PDFs, recording classroom discussion notes written on a whiteboard, students' documentation of absences, event reminders I get by mail, etc.

I don't have a smartphone, so I appreciate being able to lighten my load by going paperless.

10. MattIM

MattIM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I use my iPad2 to deposit checks into my bank account. My bank has an app for the iPad that allows me to take pictures of the checks I receive all the time. Rather than going to the bank to make my deposits, I take a picture of the check, any time and any day, and the deposit is posted. This saves me a good bit of time in my day.