IPAD2 Camera, Worse than ever!

Discussion in 'iPad Reviews' started by Kidefranco, Apr 20, 2011.

?

Is your Ipad2 camera terrible and grainy?

1. Yes

72.2%
  2. No

27.8%
  1. Kidefranco

Kidefranco Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi yall,

first time posting to a forunm EVER, but i cant sit here with this on my mind. I just got my Ipad2, 780.00 mind you,and while all the apps that are installed are beautifully clear, the CAMERA IS TERRIBLE! I play roller derby, and after seeing how pixilated my pictures are on the IPAD2 I am stunned. I cant say its because of the IPAD size, because I have an IMAC (Huge) and those pictures don't pixilate. Can anyone tell me why I can't take a decent photo without it being so GRAINY! Video as well! Is there a resolution for this problem? I bought it partially because the Iphone 4 takes such amazing photos! If i knew this, I would have stuck with my crappy old verizon phone, which takes crappy pictures. Is there an app that can fix this or does anyone think Apple will come up with a resolution to this that we WONT have to pay for?! (yeah right)
    Thank you!
  2. Shadow97

Shadow97 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

The iPhone 4 has a 5 megapixel camera which is very good. The iPad 2 has two very low quality cameras that I think were put in the device for novelty. The iPad has way more functionality then a camera, but if you were thinking you could use it to shoot pics and video, you will be disappointed.
  3. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    I have heard this time and time again. Did you research the camera before purchasing? See what the scuttlebutt is?

You can still return it.
  4. ipaduser434

ipaduser434 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, the photos are grainy if you are shooting in low/lousy light, but with bright light the photos are fine. I tested this today by taking a photo of local snowbanks and snow cover created by ten inches of snow that fell last night. The photo itself turned out great, albeit I would have preferred a picture of green grass and daffodils!
  5. Kabona

Kabona iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh come on..... Who buys an ipad to use the camera??? Kind of like asking fopr a camera in your laptop. I can only justify the need for a front facing camera for apps and google talk.....
  6. Veritas

Veritas iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't buy it for the camera but it is worse than expected. But def not a deal breaker or anything.
  7. Mutinyguy

Mutinyguy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was surprised (disappointed) that the camera was less than my new iPhone 4 :( but then iPad is so cool in so many ways it makes up for the crummy camera especially since I have the iPhone.
  8. Veritas

Veritas iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My htc evo camera still amazes me. I'm sure that will be an improvementon the next iPad.
  9. littlebuddha

littlebuddha iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you use the camera in good light then you get good results fount cam or back. use it indoors under incandesent lights your going to get grainy pics. if used right then there good pics. I have a few cameras and i still like the ipad 2 cam i take it down the workshop and out the back taking pics of my koi and get good results.
    And as said its not a camera you would really go around with stuck to your face. but to have a pad and your out and about its a nice extra.
  10. Blueface

Blueface iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Could not agree with you more.
  11. KJSmitty

KJSmitty iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I do agree with the above and it sounds like camera size was the main issue for not having something better like the iPhone 4 camera - just wouldn't fit in the new/thin case etc. For me however the FaceTime camera was definitely most important.

My initial complaint was if they went through the the trouble of having a camera, at least have a decent one... Where in the big scheme of things I guess you could better look at it as "at least it has an aft facing camera" etc.

And yes, good chance gen 3 will have an improvement in this area.

Cheers
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  12. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I knew the camera quality would be worse than iPhone's, because many stories and tech blogs noted the differences even before Apple started delivering iPad 2s. It didn't matter to me, though, because I already loved iPhone 4's camera and figured I wouldn't have much use for iPad 2's cameras.

The only thing I've used the iPad camera for is video Skype, and even then I don't usually care whether I see anyone or they see me.
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  13. AJTaliesen

AJTaliesen iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

No offense, but you sound like an apple developer here. This is the mindset that often drives people to use other products, even when the apple version is superior. It's a mindset that apple is famous for "I don't use it very often so you must not need it. You think you want it, but you're wrong, you don't."

A better question, and one that leads to more user friendly innovation is "Who carries a camera around with them all the time, when they already have a device capable of performing that function?"

But to answer the question...can you not see why having a camera with a real time 10 inch display screen would be desirable?
  14. AJTaliesen

AJTaliesen iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, did I word that badly! I apologize for that, and for the fact that upon rereading what I wrote it sounded snide to me...That's not what I meant.

What I meant was...many people have already stopped carrying cameras because their cell phone now does the job just fine for their needs. That should always be the goal. To have the need for carrying other devices eliminated by it.

Why bring a camera when the internet/book/movieplayer I'm already carrying is capable of doing the job?

Plus, as I said, the 10" display screen could pretty much take ALL of the guesswork out of it. It really shouldn't be an extra tacked on to appease complaints. The complaints happened for a reason: the reason being that this really is an outstanding place to put a good camera.
  15. Terryj

Terryj iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's crummy but I'm not trying to replace my camera. It still has FaceTime and I can get quick big pics of my granddaughter that she loves to look at. if you want good ones, take them with a camera and load into iPad.
  16. mobilemg

mobilemg iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sadly..ipad2 camera's quality is not like iphone 4. But again, I would not use taking photo...holding a big junkie, though! I use iphone 4 and view/share via with my ipad2. It is for a marketing purpose from apple! Just wait for a little longer, the next update OS version would let you to share or able to buy app (photo transfer app) via sharing bluetooth/wireless. :)
  17. miket5au

miket5au iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    There are a lot of reasons why a phone or tablet will never replace a "real" camera. Lenses and sensor size and quality of the final result being just some of the reasons.

However the one that real matters to me is being able to see what you are photographing when outside - you will not be able to see anything on the phone/tablet screen in sunlight whereas with a camera you can look through the viewfinder and be able to see what you are about to photograph.
  18. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +529 / 0
    I do not understand any one would want to use an iPad as a camera it does not make sense it is fine in daylight for movies but lets not get carried away ok. Use a digital camera for main shooting not the iPad ok.

It is like buying a movie cam standard resolution you get 1 mp still images even full hd cameras mainstream are only 3 mp.

The bottom line the iPad is not designed to replace your standard digital camera please understand that even if it was 5 or 8 mp it still does not offer the features of a digital camera.
    Finally do not expect the world with the iPad cameras they are not and I repeat not a big deal except for the rear camera for face time etc. Look at net computers most have lousy cams yet users accept that.

I have a 3GS iPhone I own a fuji 15 mp camera when I want to take real Picts do I use my iPhone. NO. Of course not. Hope that helps.
  19. KJSmitty

KJSmitty iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Not that this topic hasn't been beat to death then resurrected to only get beat again yet,,, and I agree with you Col. But I think what most would agree on is the camera quality on the iPad2 is possibly subpar to darn near most other phones and portable devices on the market sold in 2011. Totally agree it isn't and wouldn't replace a "real camera", but as many stated, if your going to put one on the iPad at least keep it at a decent performance level like other phones/devices.
    We have all come to realize how "all in one" gadgets are very addicting and handy... A good camera on the iPad is no different. :). I do believe and it goes along with what I had read yet the thickness of iPad2 was the issue with using current technology/decent cameras. Basically, something better would not fit and or keep the iPad2 within it's current price range.
    I'm sure given all of the "interest" in the camera, iPad3 will receive an improvement in this area.

Cheers
  20. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    My friend is also amazed by his EVO"s battery life which is never been more than 4 hours. Please..