What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 3G question about restore

Snecx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I own an ipad 2 64Gig 3G. My SHSH blobs are saved.

I read somewhere even if you have the blobs you can't restore to 4.3.3 if apple releases 4.3.4.
Because there is no bootroom exploit.
This matters the 3G models only. Without 3G you can always restore to 4.3.3 with the saved blobs.

Is this true?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am still not completely sure about the 3G blobs and stuff.

I still have a few things to learn. :D

If you had an iPad 1, I would say there is no problem, but I know there is something weird going on with iPad 2 3G.

OP
S

Snecx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 64GB 3G too. So i thought i would be no problem if i have the blobs.
Now i'm concerned. I develop apps for my own needs and i don't want to pay every year.
I don't want to earn money with my apps so i need the jailbreak to run my apps.
I own the iPad 2 from Day 1 and i like to use it for development too.

Maybe someone can explain or confirm that's not possible to recover in case of 4.3.4 or 5 whatever.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At the moment, if you have a 3G or CDMA model iPad2, it is NOT possible to use SHSH Blobs to downgrade or restore you device to anything except the current firmware (4.3.3 today). This is because Apple implemented a different type of check which comes AFTER the baseband is restored. A baseband downgrade will always fail, on the iPad2 this is catastrophic because there is no bootloader exploit which can be used to kick it out of recovery mode like you can on the iPad1.

Therefore, if you make a serious mistake with your jailbroken 3G / CDMA iPad2, and Apple has released a new version of iOS, say 4.3.4, which patches the exploit, you will be out of luck. Your only option will be to restore to stock IOS.

sutty0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The simplest thing to do is stay where you are and jailbreak and DONT update, simple

Aftershock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A baseband downgrade will always fail, on the iPad2 this is catastrophic because there is no bootloader exploit which can be used to kick it out of recovery mode like you can on the iPad1.

I'm still a little confused about that if I'm honest.

I completely understand that if you upgraded to 4.3.4 you wouldn't be able to downgrade the baseband.

However if you are on 4.4.3 and want to restore back to 4.4.3 your not actually downgrading anything.

Can you just clarify this is not possible either?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't be able to downgrade to 4.3.3 (please note the correct numbers) if, and ONLY if, Apple has stopped signing the 4.3.3.

If they are still signing it - no problem, just go back to it.

It's when they stop signing an iOS version that this comes into play. If you have to restore your device and Apple has stopped signing a jailbreakable version AND you don't have SHSH blobs (which you can't do on 3G/CDMA versions) - you can only restore to the Apple version.

Example1: You are on 4.3.3, jailbroken with a 3G/CDMA iPad (can't save SHSH blobs). Apple has released nothing. For some reason, you have to restore your iPad. When you restore it, the only firmware version available for you to run on your iPad will be 4.3.3. You are very happy and simply re-jailbreak your iPad using the latest comex jailbreak. Done.

Example2: You are on 4.3.3, jailbroken with a 3G/CDMA iPad (can't save SHSH blobs). Apple goes to 4.3.4 (which is not jailbroken). You sit tight. Then, for some reason, you have to restore your iPad. When you restore it, the only firmware version available for you to run on your iPad will be 4.3.4. Since you want to actually use your iPad, rather than look at it as a pretty paperweight, you have to put 4.3.4 on it. Then, it's back to waiting/hoping that someone can develop a jailbreak for that verison.

Yeah, it's clear as mud, but hopefully this'll help...

Marilyn

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that was the explanation I was looking for. Thank you, Mickey330.
With that one trick to enable multitouch without JB, I'm pretty happy. Although it bugs me that once I opened and closed an app, the folder the app is in is still open. That's what I really liked about JBing my iPad1 (without 3G).

edit: I just found that tinyumbrella should now be able to save shsh blobs on 4.3.3 with 3G. If I read your post corrctly, I should now be able to go back to 4.3.3 even if Apple decides on releasing an update to 4.3.4, right???

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To go OT (just a little!) - take a look at the Cydia tweak FolderEnhancer. There is a setting (in the Settings) that allows a folder to "Close on App Launch." Works well. That's not all it does (can you say infinite number of apps/pages in a folder?), but at least it helps your gripe...

Back on topic: Glad I could help.

Marilyn

illustratoor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this is the Right place to post my question(s)
I'm also on an iPad 3G. Just updated to 4.3.3. Do you think it is wise to wait little longer before jailbreaking with JBM 3 or is it ok to go ahead ?
Yesterday saurik wrote on twitter to wait for at least a week.

I also read on the dev- team blog (intro page q&a) that there are a few ideas that might work around the limitation to restore on an ipad2 3G. Any idea what these ideas are?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
edit: I just found that tinyumbrella should now be able to save shsh blobs on 4.3.3 with 3G. If I read your post corrctly, I should now be able to go back to 4.3.3 even if Apple decides on releasing an update to 4.3.4, right???

Nope. The latest word is that it still will not be possible to use saved SHSH blobs on 3G iPad, even though Tiny Umbrella can save them.

However, it's still a good idea to save the 4.3.3 SHSH blobs - just in case. You never know what is going on "behind the scenes" or what may change in the future...

So, save them and keep your fingers crossed that someone figures out a way to use them.

Marilyn

P.S. And please, if you ask another, related question inside a thread, make a new post (in the thread) versus update your original. A new post shows up as new, while an edit doesn't. It was happenstance that I saw your edit...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this is the Right place to post my question(s)
I'm also on an iPad 3G. Just updated to 4.3.3. Do you think it is wise to wait little longer before jailbreaking with JBM 3 or is it ok to go ahead ?
Yesterday saurik wrote on twitter to wait for at least a week.

I also read on the dev- team blog (intro page q&a) that there are a few ideas that might work around the limitation to restore on an ipad2 3G. Any idea what these ideas are?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

You'll have to make your own judgment call as to whether you want to use the jailbreakme.com method. I can only tell you that I've successfully used it and, so far, all is fine.

No clue as to what the Dev Team is talking about. However, and hopefully, they'll keep stuff under wraps until it's time for release. We don't want stuff fixed by official software updates before we've all had a chance to try it (!).

Marilyn

P.S. Oh, and this was rather off-topic from the original post (sorry, OP). In the future, if you have a question that is a completely different topic/subject, please don't hesitate to start a new thread. That way, it's easier to not lose your question (and we don't annoy people by going OT). Suits?

Most reactions

Latest posts