What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad1 IOS 5 & 5.0.1 question

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I everyone, i was reading the post about the 5.0.1 untethred jailbreak for ipad1 and as soon as i finished reading twice i figured out that i didn't understand anyhthing at all(quite hard for me since i'm italian, sorry) this is what i understood, currently i'm jailbroken on 4.3.4, i tried IOS5 about a month ago and i didn't like it much because of many tweaks that weren't working and it also seemed much much slower than 4.3.4 and it wals also tethred so i went back to 4.3.4 with shsh blobs. Then i read the post about 5.0.1 and that if i understood correctly is untethred but i should do something fast before apple does something (which is the oart that i haven't understood) maybe i'm alredy too late for getting 5.0.1 untethred but if i'm not i was wondering if anyone could explain me what do i have to do and (if 5.0.1 slows down the iPad) if i can go back with saved blobs of course (I'm not sure but i think there's also a problem with shsh blobs for ios 5?).
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the first thing is that you don't have to worry about upgrading yet - there is no untethered jailbreak for the iPad1 on iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 (and no jail break for the iPad2 on iOS 5 at all). There never was one...we're still waiting.

What you missed was the signing window for Apple to approve installing iOS 5.0 on your iPad. Now, all you can install is iOS 5.0.1. If you install it, you will have to do a tethered jailbreak for it, using redsn0w (and this sticky: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...tutorial-jailbreak-ipad1-redsn0w-windows.html). That's for a computer with Windows installed. If you want a jail break method only for a Mac, see this new sticky to jail break (again, tethered) with ac1dsn0w: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...break-ipad1-ios5-tethered-using-ac1dsn0w.html

It's up to everyone to decide whether upgrading to a newer iOS version (and, in this case, having to do a tethered jailbreak) is worth it. I have upgraded my iPad1 to iOS 5.0.1 and truthfully, it's not that big a deal. But, I only use my iPad for light browsing and some news reading. Others may find the new iOS the best thing. Again, it's entirely up to each person.

What I can tell you is that it is no big deal to run the iPad1 on iOS 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak. Mine works perfectly fine and I've had zero trouble with it. Most of the tweaks I was running before I upgraded (I was on iOS 4.3.3) have been updated so they work fine. See this thread for those tweaks that have been updated (the ones that work are in blue): http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

Since you have SHSH blobs, you can go back to your old iOS if you decide iOS 5.0.1 is not for you (or that the tethered jail break doesn't work for you). I, personally, won't go back because all the developers, App Store and Cydia ones, are moving on and developing for iOS 5 now. Soon, iOS 4.x will be "old news."

So, in a nut shell: You still have time to decide what to do. You've already missed the big excitement, which was to upgrade to iOS 5.0 before Apple stopped signing it. Since you didn't go to that version, you now can't. Therefore, take your time and decide what to do, whether to stay on iOS 4.3.4 with an UNtethered jailbreak or to go to iOS 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak.

Good luck with your decision.

Marilyn

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see, thanks for your help, i had just another question, why did you say untethred jailbreak? I thought that 4.3.4 was just tethred.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Darn!

My apologies. Yes, the jail break for iOS 4.3.4 is a tethered jailbreak.

Sorry for the confusion (and for, probably, getting your hopes up). My only excuse is: There are so many numbers and versions! :D

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts