What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad won't connect to home wifi now

yorky48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help with this one please.

I bought an ipad series 1 two weeks ago and connected successfully to my home router (netgear DG834G V2) now when I try to connect, the ipad with signal fan appears in the top left of ipad, it says my routers name in the wifi section of settings. But, as soon as I try to connect to the internet via Safari, the message 'cannot open page because it is not connected to the internet', appears.

Has anyone else had this problem, if so, can you please tell me how you fixed it.

I have tried clicking on the 'do not remember this wifi' in the wifi settings and gone in using the password everytime to no success.

Before I go totally nuts, can someone please help.

Thanks.:confused:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help with this one please.

I bought an ipad series 1 two weeks ago and connected successfully to my home router (netgear DG834G V2) now when I try to connect, the ipad with signal fan appears in the top left of ipad, it says my routers name in the wifi section of settings. But, as soon as I try to connect to the internet via Safari, the message 'cannot open page because it is not connected to the internet', appears.

Has anyone else had this problem, if so, can you please tell me how you fixed it.

I have tried clicking on the 'do not remember this wifi' in the wifi settings and gone in using the password everytime to no success.

Before I go totally nuts, can someone please help.

Thanks.:confused:

OK - couple of quick questions. The signal fan means you're connected by WiFi to your router but it doesn't necessarily mean the router is connected to the Internet. Can you connect to the Internet with other devices - PC/Mac for example?

If you can connect with your PC then try turning the iPad off then on - not just putting it into sleep, but holding the Power button down until it powers off completely. It's a good first step to fixing a myriad of iPad problems

Tim
Scotland

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim's got good advice on checking the router. I recently had problems with my Linksys router where it showed connected to Internet but wouldn't go anywhere on my pc. Was a pain in the rear to get back working right again. Seem like my cable company had changed the IP address but for some reason it didn't take with the router. After I got that mess straightened out all were happy with each other.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to what you've tried, try unplugging your router/wifi for about 8 min, then plug it back in. Have your iPad "Forget Network" again, and set up again. If that doesn't work, try a different public DNS server such as Google at 8.8.8.8 in "Settings > General > Network > Wi-Fi > (your network name) >" tap blue arrow and then go down to "DNS" and tap the numbers on the right and change them to "8.8.8.8" without the quotes. This may be a little slower on large downloads, hundreds of mb size, but if it works it's tolerable. Your ISP may be slow or blocking some sites, so going to a public DNS might help.

OP
Y

yorky48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad not connecting to router-thanks for your help

Hi,

Thanks to you all for your speedy replies, I will give all your suggestions a go and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks again.

Jill

OP
Y

yorky48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I tried all the ideas and suggestions this am. No different I'm afraid. I updated the routers firmware to the latest issue, after reading that that could make a difference. It didn't.
I assume rightly or wrongly, that when you say to turn off the ipad completely, you mean hold the on/off button for a few seconds until the 'slide to power off' option comes on. Does that then turn it off completely or am I missing something.

Both my desktop and laptop connect and work well with the router. The desktop is connected via the ethernet cable but the laptop works wirelessly in another room.
The ipad won't pick up the internet in the same room as the router.

Do you think it's a problem with the ipad or the router? The router is an old one, Netgear DG834G V2, but appears to work ok with the desktop & laptop, although saying that, it does drop it every now and again.

I have connected to BT Openzone's wifi in Starbucks quite easily, which makes me think it's the router. I don't need to use it at home that much, mostly to download Apps, don't want to have to use the slower orange connection or use up my data allowance if I can do it via the wifi.

If anyone else has any ideas, all will be gratefully received. My thanks to all of you who have already tried to help me.

Cheers,
Yorky48

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You mention that the router drops once in awhile. Maybe going bad? Don't know for sure. As I said, had trouble with my router a couple of times and one was where I had tried setting up the WIFI the first time. Someone was helping me over the phone and was going by memory. Screwed up the system. Then second time my IP address wasn't in the system after a change from the cable company. Got that straightened out and all works for now. I'm not an expert with this, sure that someone with better knowledge will jump in on this problem. But, I'd try checking out the router also.

OP
Y

yorky48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorted

You mention that the router drops once in awhile. Maybe going bad? Don't know for sure. As I said, had trouble with my router a couple of times and one was where I had tried setting up the WIFI the first time. Someone was helping me over the phone and was going by memory. Screwed up the system. Then second time my IP address wasn't in the system after a change from the cable company. Got that straightened out and all works for now. I'm not an expert with this, sure that someone with better knowledge will jump in on this problem. But, I'd try checking out the router also.

Thanks Georgia boy and everyone who suggested how to fix my problem.

I eventually gave up on the Netgear DG834G V2 Router and bought a Belkin Share N300. Problem sorted. Ipad connecting now everytime no problem.

Thanks again to you all, it's a great forum and I will be learning lots by reading the different sections.

Cheers for now.
Yorky 48 :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it fixed and interesting to know that it was the router in the end. Hope you can relax and enjoy your iPad now.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts