What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Router password not stored

riki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.apperley-art.com
We have a Netgear DG834G wireless router wired to a desktop PC from which we connect, wirelessly of course, several laptops and tablets. Because the signal is poor in some areas of the house we recently acquired a Netgear Universal Wifi Range Extender WN2000RPT which works fine. Now, we have also recently added two iPads to the network (16 and 32) and this is the problem: the key password of the router was entered on both iPads and one of the iPads works perfectly but the other one each time it's powered up it automatically connects to the router and not the wifi range extender; we then have to manually select the wifi range extender and it asks for the router password. In other words, one iPad stores the password and automatically connects to the range extender, the other not. We've compared one iPad against the other in Settings and can't see any difference. Spent hours trying to find a solution to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - it's a long shot - and probably won't make the slightest difference but I've found, when you're short of any idea of what to do, the best way forward (and it gives you a little more time to think!) is to completely switch off the iPad - i.e. not just put it to sleep but do a complete power-down. You'd be amazed on iPad Forum how many 'unexplained' problems that fixes.

Tim

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would also go to wifi setting on the iPad and do a forget this network then Re add only the the router you want to use with the password

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
riki

riki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.apperley-art.com
OK - it's a long shot - and probably won't make the slightest difference but I've found, when you're short of any idea of what to do, the best way forward (and it gives you a little more time to think!) is to completely switch off the iPad - i.e. not just put it to sleep but do a complete power-down. You'd be amazed on iPad Forum how many 'unexplained' problems that fixes.

Tim

Thanks for coming in Tim. I have already turned off the iPad many many times but it still connects to the Router when turned on from cold and not the Extender. I can only connect to the Extender manually selecting it and each time it asks for the Router password, a 26 alphameric password! Tedious way to connect to the Extender every single time...

OP
riki

riki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.apperley-art.com
I would also go to wifi setting on the iPad and do a forget this network then Re add only the the router you want to use with the password

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thanks for your suggestion Harley but it still doesn't work. :-(

OP
riki

riki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.apperley-art.com
Done it!!! I tried Harley's suggestion again (forget this network) on BOTH the Router AND the Range Extender, rebooted, chose Range Extender, re-entered password, rebooted and bingo it automatically connects to the Range Extender. Job done. Phew! Your help Harley much appreciated.

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A dumb tip that has come in very handy for me a few times ...I keep my router password on note pad and stickies on my iPad and computer , so if I have to put it in , I just have to copy and paste it ;)

OP
riki

riki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.apperley-art.com
A dumb tip that has come in very handy for me a few times ...I keep my router password on note pad and stickies on my iPad and computer , so if I have to put it in , I just have to copy and paste it ;)

Good idea but for some reason I couldn't copy n paste with the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts