What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wi fi problem

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a desktop and laptop pc and two phones that function very well on my home network. I just got an ipad and it connected ok but throughout the day it drops the connection every few minutes. What can I do to fix this?

twister78700

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Call your Internet Service Provider and ask them how many devices can be connected to your home network. I have had this problem many times where I had too many devices connected at the same time and they had to increase my bandwidth. Hope this helps.

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twister78700 said:
Call your Internet Service Provider and ask them how many devices can be connected to your home network. I have had this problem many times where I had too many devices connected at the same time and they had to increase my bandwidth. Hope this helps.

Hogwash. With a router you can connect as many as 255 devices to an internet connection regardless of the speed of that connection.

To the OP; there are probably other routers near you using the same send and receive channels as your router. They could be confusing your iPad, because at times their signal seems stronger. Suggest you go into your routers setup and change to an empty channel, and if our are using an 802.11n router, set the channel to wide (40MHz). Post back with the results.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NoNoBadDog said:
Hogwash. With a router you can connect as many as 255 devices to an internet connection regardless of the speed of that connection.

Who on earth told you that? You can only have the number of devices as you do ports on your router(s).

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Who on earth told you that? You can only have the number of devices as you do ports on your router(s).

You can connect wireless devices, as well as additional switches and or hubs. If you are going to try to give advice on these forums, you should have at least a passing knowledge of the subject.

In my home, I have 5 desktops, a server, two tablets, two laptops, two cellphones, a wireless Blu-ray player, a wireless TV, a Logitech NeoTV, two NAS boxes, all connected to a Netgear router that has only four wired ports.

Suggest you do some homework and study up on routers and DHCP.

So, no one "told me that". Sorry, you are just making yourself look silly.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NoNoBadDog said:
You can connect wireless devices, as well as additional switches and or hubs. If you are going to try to give advice on these forums, you should have at least a passing knowledge of the subject.

In my home, I have 5 desktops, a server, two tablets, two laptops, two cellphones, a wireless Blu-ray player, a wireless TV, a Logitech NeoTV, two NAS boxes, all connected to a Netgear router that has only four wired ports.

Suggest you do some homework and study up on routers and DHCP.

So, no one "told me that". Sorry, you are just making yourself look silly.

I have been around computers for over 20 years. I know you can add routers for more ports, but you can only have so man devices per router.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
I have been around computers for over 20 years. I know you can add routers for more ports, but you can only have so man devices per router.

I think the definition of "port" is what is in dispute here. Certainly any adequate router can handle the number of devices the OP has.

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:

Sorry, kid. You are quite wrong here. You can have up to 254 physical devices connected to a router, with the router holding the 255th address.
You
Just continue to make yourself look foolish.

A typical router has for LAN ports and a WAN port. So, by your definition, you could not connect more than 4 devices.

suggest you go online and do some research on Network Addressing, and DHCP. You might learn something and not make yourself look so foolish in the future.

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition, if one subnets, you can add hundreds more devices. So, your router can support hundreds, even thousands of devices if you know what you are doing (by subnetting using additional routers), and all of that traffic will go through your main router.

Most reactions

Latest posts