What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs Computer

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am wondering how many on this forum still use a computer because of iPad limitations.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As above. The iPad has capabilities that are beyond computers, and vice versa. I find both to be useful and have very little crossover between devices.

OP
J

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I neglected to expand on the reason for my question. I use an iPad for almost everything, including daily volunteer work in which I analyze cold case homicides. My computer is a Windows XP model, which will soon fall into total non-use, and I am considering a Macbook Pro––only because I occasionally need a computer for a task that my iPad won't handle.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You couldn't have made a better choice of replacement IMO. iOS AND OS X work very well together.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad Air is great but it could never replace my MacBook Pro Retina, I use both but use my Pro much more than my iPad, Once you get used to a Mac you will wonder how you managed before.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love my iPads. The only reason I still have a desktop computer is for graphic design.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have only been using my iPad 3 for the past two years and still use my PC, a laptop with Windows 8. As Kevin says, both have their definite uses but I must admit to using my ipad more and more recently. In fact I did not use my PC for over a week until a couple of days ago.
I am now feeling very comfortable with my iPad :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most of my surfing and email is now done on the iPad, from the comfort of my La-Z-Boy in the living room. The fact that a high-end stereo system is in the same room doesn't hurt. However, I still use the iMac in my office/studio for things the iPad cannot do, such as maintaining the hummingbird migration maps on my website and other graphic design tasks, indulging my flight simulation hobby, keeping my bird banding records, and viewing webcams that require Flash. There are days when the iMac is not woken from its sleep.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Depends on what needs getting done. If it's typing and clerical stuff, I prefer my iPad with my BT keyboard for greater mobility. For Flash, resource demanding processing and going on pages that has a ton of JS, I'd prefer a computer for more reliable and less frustrating usage.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk Pro

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me the iPad augments my computing experience, it was never meant to replace my computers.

Bingo. This statement nails it. I've been saying this for a while now. Most households use iPads as one of the tools in their computing toolbox. That's all. There aren't many people who can get away with just a tablet as their only device. Just not powerful enough and lacks the precision pointing options you get from a mouse. Typing long, highly formatted documents gets hard too.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the fact that I have my Mac Book Air along with my iPad. Both devices go hand in hand when I am working on a presentation or performing Literature reviews for articles. Having the MBA gives me the extra storage I need to save presentations and pictures. It also allows me to edit documents quickly on my MBA while my iPad is charging up.

Could I do most of my work on my iPad? Most probably, since my work doesn't entail extensive use of Number/Excel files as some say they use. However, having my MBA allows me the a little more latitude when getting things done for work. I love the portability of each device. I don't think i will ever buy another desktop after buying my MBA.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my iPad for entertainment and social. I use my computer for productivity. I think the apps in the iPad are limited, and doesn't offer the same potential as a computer can do. I mainly use it ad my entertainment and social device.

Last edited:

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My school uses Blackboard for online course management, but only photos can be uploaded to Blackboard from iPads, so I use my MacBook Pro for uploading documents to online courses and for online course design.

Most reactions

Latest posts