What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad virus?

Hillbilly57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, my wife's iPad seems to have picked up a virus. This afternoon everyone on her email account address book received a spam message. Now when she tries to reply to an emil the email goes to outbox (yahoo account) and will not send.

Does anyone please know what this is and how to fix it please?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are no known viruses for the iPad.
If your Wife's email is sending spam messages then it is highly likely that the email account has been hacked, and this is nothing to do with the iPad, nor is it likely to have happened on the iPad.

First port of call is the change the password immediately. Then you should log onto the main account using your browser and check if anything has been changed at the service provider end.

What you are describing however (with sent mail now not sending) may indicate that whoever hacked your account has already changed the password. In this case, you need to get in touch with the service provider right away.

Good Luck.

OP
H

Hillbilly57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Email Client Password Change

Hi Folks,

Have noticed something odd with my iPad. Received an email (from myself) and notifications from friends and family that they had received the same cryptic email and that they had all deleted it.

The message had detailed in the subject line 'do not open any mail from me, my account has a virus'. Obviously, I didn't send the message and deleted it myself.

Now, my yahoo email account is accessible, but I am unable to send email, or use wireless printers.

I noticed that in the email settings panel, the password field had several extra dots, longer than the password I use for this account. I reverted the password back to the right one, and switched back to the email app, only to find that nothing was sending. I went back to settings, and the password was reverted back again to the incorrect one.

Anyone else having or had this experience? It's almost as though my device has been accessed remotely, and I'm worried that the device has been hacked.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hillbilly57.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea what's going on in your case, but I can reiterate what f4780y says. There is no iPad virus, and if we ever hear of one, we will broadcast the info to the world, very, VERY loudly.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
No idea what's going on in your case, but I can reiterate what f4780y says. There is no iPad virus, and if we ever hear of one, we will broadcast the info to the world, very, VERY loudly.

I can chime in with this post.

I used to have a Yahoo email account which was hacked, and a stream of spam messages was generated. This happened long before I purchased my iPad.

I opened a new account at A main stream provider and transferred all my contacts et cetera there and tried to close the Yahoo account. So far as I am aware the problems went away.

Reread the long reply to your shout for help. The solutions should be in that reply.

good luck

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Remember the advice which circulates frequently enough on the Internet. Never open an email from someone you don't know Especially if the email contains links you are not familiar with. Do not open links from these types of email.

Then of course there are those emails which say "hi friend" or similar and butter you up before saying they want to transfer funds could you help them - never never touch That type of email.

Caution is the key.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
virus not possible but spyware and or malware on it possibility you can read on apple magazine this month its hot topic :thumbs:

Most reactions

Latest posts