What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.3.5

Robinbx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My previous experience was all Windows until I got an iPad 8 months ago. Now I wouldn't be without it. Got a few new apps like Dragon Dictation, Office HD, Photo Transfer, PhotoAlbums, RDP and Pulse News.

iTunes is advising me to upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.3.5, but I am concerned that these Apple OS upgrades do not seem to go as smoothly as with Windows, and sometimes result in the loss of apps and/or data files. Right now, purchases are transferred, and sync is complete with iTunes on a Windows XP PC.

Should I go ahead with this upgrade? What's the worst that could happen, and what would I have to do to recover. I'm still a beginner, so please answer in simple words.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the worst that can happen is probably nuclear war but if I were you I would upgrade as your version of iOS is now quite outdated but when you upgrade you will go straight to iOS 5, which is great news as loads of new functionality.

OP
R

Robinbx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, Gabriel. My concern about losing apps and/or data files is because the internet has many horror stories from people trying to upgrade to 4.3.5. So, a couple of specific questions:
1.. ITunes says I should upgrade to 4.3.5. If I do this, will it in fact be an upgrade to iOS 5?

2.. During an OS upgrade on iPad, are apps and data files normally left unchanged on the iPad?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - the upgrade will be straight to iOS5. You shouldn't lose any apps or data but it's always a sensible precaution to back everything up.

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions