1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad Touch Screen Settings...

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ultrimate, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Ultrimate

Ultrimate iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hey I'm a lil disappointed that there is no touch screen settings, I would like to be able to adjust settings from sensitive and not so sensitive...

Why no settings? I have an iaudio mp3 player that is 2 yrs old and it has touch screen settings?

This is iPad made from apple that is known for intuitive design and such, they should have settings for this..

Does anybody know if there is maybe an app that allows me to adjust touch screen settings?

Anyway not really that big of a deal but if anyone knows anything let me know, thx.
  2. vsstanton

vsstanton iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Love the settings just the way that they are...don't know what i would adjust...no adjustments on my droid....
  3. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    What he said....
  4. keroro1979

keroro1979 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What's to adjust?
  5. Fotonutz

Fotonutz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are there any cases whereby the touchscreen calibrations goes haywire ?
    If there is a chance that the touchscreen's calibration is off, it would be good to have a setting for you to calibrate the thing back.

I know for windows mobile phone which uses a stylus, there is a calibration feature.
  6. CaptKirk

CaptKirk iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Either you touch or don't touch,,, that is your setting :confused::confused: if you think you are touching to hard then practice touching more lightly. If you think you are touching to lightly then practice touching more heavy. If you are still feeling confused then touch yourself to make sure you are still awake and alive :p
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  7. keroro1979

keroro1979 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Not sure about this, but is it different with capacative touch screens and the other pressure sensitive ones? I know the DS also has a calibration option, thats a pressure sensitive touch screen, as does my crappy huawei phone.
  8. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    In most cases where people have access to calibrations, such as with television sets, they wind up just making things worse. I would imagine that if it can be calibrated, they want you to go to an Apple technician to make sure it is done right.
  9. Stefx

Stefx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't feel the need to adjust anything, it's pretty perfect the way it is.

I prefer to have "perfect" and "not adjustable" than the other way around.
  10. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    What would be the point of it being "less sensitive"? Would you want to be able to touch it and the iPad not recognize it?
  11. Ultrimate

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Well, I think it's weird sometimes I touch ever so light and it works, other times I tap hard and it doesn't..I'm sure others have experienced this.
  12. Al Rogers

Al Rogers iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0

Yes, I have,but I started to stroke it lightly and I have no trouble,where tapping it I do.

al.:D
  13. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    So, are there times when you want to be able to touch it and have it not respond? When you touch and it doesnt respond, its just lag. There are a few apps where I experience this. Its not a feature of the screen sensitivity, its a matter of the CPU or GPU getting behind and not ready to accept your input. Usually when you experience this, you can wait a few seconds and do it again, and it will work fine. Hopefully, multitasking does make this worse in future updates.
  14. Itzxdjx

Itzxdjx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Remember the selection on the screen only happens when you lift your finger so tapping hard or light dos not effect it. Instead the amount of space you are touching, where your touching and when you let go.

Yeah setting would just complicate things.
  15. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    also, keep in mind that touching with you fingernail doesnt work. I have a habit of using my nails (even though they are very short) instead of the meaty pad of my finger. The Ipad's screen wont recognize a fingernail.
  16. muyoso

muyoso iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    One of my biggest pet peeve with "Apple people", ie the consumers of Apple products, is that whenever something is pointed out as lacking on a device, the canned response is always that its not necessary and that you should change YOUR behavior to match the device.

I want my device as configurable as possible. If you like it how it is, you don't have to change a single setting. This allows people to customize the device to their exact likings. I had a problem with screen calibration on the ipad already, and I have only had it for a few days. It happened to be caused by a package I had installed, but a screen calibration option would have been nice. There are a lot of things missing on the iPad that leave me wanting, but that is kind of the Apple way of doing things. Can't fault them, because their products are popular, but personally I would much rather have the OPTION to change things.
  17. Ultrimate

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    amen to that, I feel they defend apple to defend their purchase, they dont want to believe that something is missing..

look, ppl like the option to have a settings, for TV's ppl like options to adjust their picture, whether BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST, SHARPNESS, etc. Same with puter monitors..

For cameras ppl like to have as many options as possible especially for SLR cameras.

For even say a mouse ppl like to have software and drivers that get them options to tweak the mouse..

and touchpads in laptops usually have a wealth amount of settings,and most of those settings include adjusting the sensitivity of the touchpad.

so for the ipad, and being that the touch screen revolves around your fingers that touch the screen, its only logical that you would have somekind of settings for the screen.. You think becuz Apple gives you one setting its perfect for everyone? LOL, NOT..

its like Panasonic to make a TV and have non-adjustable CONTRAST or BRIGHTNESS , could you imagine ppl defending Panasonic and saying that the picture is perfect so need to adjust? Imagine how absurd these ppl would sound, imagine the bad reviews..

some like to touch/tap harder, some lighter..

also, ever since I put my screen protector on I find it less sensitive, so an adjustment to make the touch screen more sensitive would be nice.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  18. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Could only see that adjustment as being useful for sketching or drawing.
    Apple is more interested in making things just work than allowing geeks to fiddle :)
  19. IPad-Fan-64

IPad-Fan-64 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I personally can not see why you would need to adjust the touch setting.
  20. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I agree with you general statement, I just dont think it applies here. Calibration is one thing, sensitivity is another. A calibration utility might have a function. I see no point to a "sensitivity" setting. Why would you want the screen to be less responsive? I cant think of any touch scree device that has such a setting.

The only way to relieve the occasional decrease in response we sometimes experience is with better software that isnt taxing the CPU or GPU as much. (By the way this is me acknowledging a weakness on the iPad). I am very familiar with this kind of behavior from Window Mobile phones that dont have a separate graphics processor and have occasional lag in touchscreen response. I see the same thing on the iPad, but much, much less than I did on Windows Mobile. For example scrolling large pages with a lot of graphics will often cause lag. The Netflix app is the worst I have encountered so far.