What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

touch screen stopped working, no damage evident

Joolyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. Would be very grateful for any help.

I was using my iPad and for no reason it suddenly stopped responding to touch. I cannot even power it down as the confirmatory slider doesn't respond. I can (just) slide from one home screen to the next, but that is all. I thought if I could power it down it might reset, but I can't do that as I can't move the slider to confirm shut down.

I was typing something into a dialogue box and between one letter and the next, it stopped. The home button works, if that's relevant to anything. Updated to iOS5 last week. Everything else is unchanged including apps and settings. It was given to me in May so not even a year old. No evidence of damage to the screen, and no reason there should be any.

Can anyone help? Thank you.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hold the home button and power button down. Keep holding them down even when you see the slide to shutdown. The unit should shut down. Cross your fingers and restart it.
Keep in mind that you get a one year warranty from apple. So if it isn't working, take it to an Apple Store.
Good luck!

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked. I don't know what led to your problem, but it's a good idea to shutdown the running apps every once in a while to free up the memory and occasionally shut the iPad down.

Most reactions

Latest posts