iPad to replace Nook and Kindel

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by iPadster, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Star56

Star56
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

2. iPadster

iPadster
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Actually with the B&N reader, one of the themes is black with white text. You can also fade the background to grey which works very well.

3. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Get over the eye strain thing.... it goes no where. I got eye strain from reading the dingy light gray/dark gray eInk screens. Wife and I sold our Sony readers because we both enjoy reading on the iPad so much more. Now after 3 months reading on the iPad there is NO WAY we would go back to the drab eInk screen....

People are different. For me eInk screens hurt my eyes... for others even the modern LCD hurts their eyes...... This is like many other issues in that there is no right/wrong, best/worst, good/bad.... there is only what works best for the individual.....

The tired expression "different strokes for different folks" applies here.....

4. brandiem09

brandiem09
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am a voracious reader and have been using my iPad like crazy since I got it. I haven't used an e-reader with e-ink, but I am not having any problems with eyestrain on the iPad while reading. I sometimes get eyestrain while playing certain games, but not much. It's a different story with smaller devices, but the large display on the iPad makes a difference. Also make sure you play around with text size and various fonts. Like another poster mentioned, the Sepia background is the best.

5. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I sold my Nook on CL for $150 ~ then I bought my iPad.:D What a difference!

6. Mecread

Mecread
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have a kindle and I will but my books on my ipad, but for good hard reading i will pick up my kindle. After years of eye strain reading print books and then pdf on computers i will plan to use my kindle as my bed side reader and my ipad for on the fly.

or when my kiddo wants the kindle i still have my books with me.

7. deaffob

deaffob
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

8. MrFuzz

MrFuzz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad, and enjoy it very much. My only complaint is that it is not easy to use when viewing outside.

If you like to read outside, you'd be much better off with a Kindle, which has excellent viewing even in full sunlight. If you are a cuddle-up-in-bed-with-a-book-person, then the iPad is perfect

I took the iPad to read by the pool recently, and it's was unusable in the sunlight.

9. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    While not perfect, the read ability is better outside on your iPad if you turn up the screen brightness all the way.....

10. nytngale

nytngale
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have both a nook and a Kindle and can say that I enjoy reading as much on my iPad as the other two. I read a lot, especially on weekends and have not experienced any issues with eyestrain. I prefer the nook or Kindle for reading outside however since the iPad doesn't do so great in the sun. I won't be selling my ereaders, but won't be using them as much.