What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to Play Backing Tracks in Live Performance

mmwarner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to use my iPad to play pre-recorded backing tracks during live performances. My questions are:
1. How do I connect the iPad to a PA. with wires?
2. Can I connect my iPad to the PA using some type of wireless receiver attached to the PA, thus eliminating the
need to be too close to the PA or mixer?
3. I assume I can use iTunes to select specific tracks and the play them. Is that correct, or is there a better way?

niitramdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mmwarner said:
I want to use my iPad to play pre-recorded backing tracks during live performances. My questions are:
1. How do I connect the iPad to a PA. with wires?
2. Can I connect my iPad to the PA using some type of wireless receiver attached to the PA, thus eliminating the
need to be too close to the PA or mixer?
3. I assume I can use iTunes to select specific tracks and the play them. Is that correct, or is there a better way?

Check out the iRig stuff at http://www.ikmultimedia.com

You can get the iRig to hook a instrument in and iRig Midi to hook in Midi devices. You can pretty much do anything with their stuff, just check it out.

You can use the iRig Midi with their included sampler to play the backing tracks, as far as wireless, you would have to co,e out of the iRig to a wireless setup I would think...

Their stuff is relatively cheap for music synth stuff... This is the coolest stuff for iPad I have ever seen, back in the 70’s to get this sound would cost thousands and thousands to get.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Last edited:

Chuck6264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a musician and I run a voice over intro to the show that I do from my iPad. I just use a stereo mini plug to 1/4 inch cable.
That gets routed to a direct box that goes to the pa/mixer. Since the voice over does not need to be stereo I usually use just the left male plug to run it mono. You would want your backing tracks stereo but mono is a option depending on what you prefer. As far as a wireless solution I don't know of any on the market. But there could be one out there similar to a wireless guitar system that would
broadcast a stereo signal. But I feel the wired way is the best way to go. Check Musicians Friend online to find a quality mini plug to 1/4 inch cable.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to point out a link which can be useful :
SyncInside - Backing tracks advanced player

syncinside.net

Camera Connection Kit and a Class compliant USB sound card are required to exploit the multitrack features.

Hello, this is to let you know that your identical post in the iPad Help forum has been deleted. In future please do not duplicate your posts in different threads as this is confusing to members and fragments any assistance that may be given to you. In any case, it is doubtful whether your post will be read as the threads are over one a half years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lynnspain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, MMwarner,
I use my ipad to perform live as a singer with backing tracks and as a duo with a pianist. A lot depends on the audio equipment you are using of course however any music shop will help with the cable and any adapters you may need to connect either end.

I use the forscore app for my lyrics ( or sheet music) as you can link any of your tracks to the score and therefore making everything smooth and easy, you can even add a pedal to turn the pages.
for wireless connection again go to a musicians store they will know all.

One question I would add here to anyone who now picks this thread up again is this,.....

On my PA system I can connect by cable or with my apple usb cable. I have the Yamaha stagepass 400i, brilliant system ( good quality cable as with microphone ) BUT I find the sound is not so strong or clear with the apple usb, does anyone know why?

Most reactions

Latest posts