1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad ties up mail server for other computers

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Compiler777, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Compiler777

Compiler777 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use Charter email. When I access my email with my iPad, I cannot use my laptop or other computer to access my charter email. It says the server is locked. This is true even when I put the iPad in hibernation. I have to shut off my iPad completely in order to access my Charter email from one of my other computers.

I also have a yahoo and other email account, but no problem there.

Any suggestions?
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,007 / 1
    Some servers (mostly POP account servers) only allow one connection at a time.

To prevent the iPad from hogging that connection, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Advanced: Selectt the problem account and change it to Manual.

This will make sure the iPad is not periodically connecting to the server. It will only get mail when you actually open the Mail app, and when you tap the refresh icon at the bottom of the email list.

The server should automatically time out the iPad's connection. This typically takes about 15 minutes; so you may not be able to just jump onto the laptop right after using the iPad. But since the iPad is not connecting every 15, 30, or 60 minutes; the server should be available most of the time.

I'm not that familiar with Charter; but if it offers you the ability to set your account up as IMAP or Exchange instead, this would bypass the problem.

It's also possible that somewhere in your email account options (at charter) you can increase the number of simultaneous sessions for the account. That would also cure the problem.
  3. yellowhorse

yellowhorse iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Interesting. I must explore this. Thx.
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,007 / 1