What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad stuck in Recovery mode

VanOfBees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad running 5.1.1 OS that has been Jailbroken.

I was opening up Pandora (an appstore app) today and it mysteriously ended up in recovery mode. I have tried numerous guides and tools that report to be able to get it out of being stuck in recovery mode but none of them have been succesful.

I have been able to get it into DFU mode a couple of times but I'm not clear on what technique managed it. I can't even seem to turn the ipad off.

I really don't want to upgrade to the latest firmware to fix it because I'll lose lots of data alongside losing my jailbreak. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
G'day Van and welcome to the forum. So that you may have better prospects of receiving help re your jailbroken iPad, I have moved your thread to the iPad Hacking sub-forum.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which iPad would this happen to be? There are several methods that are available to some gens of iPad and not for others

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

OP
V

VanOfBees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's an iPad 64gb A1416 - 3rd Generation - Wifi only

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The data portion of it is extremely difficult to resolve even with professional tools. Considering that it's iOS 5.1.1, you can try mounting the ramdisk on your iPad 3 and extracting the dmg image out of your iPad, re-restore your iPad to 5.1.1 (assuming you have iOS 5.1.1 blobs or Semirestore recognizes your device), extract the desired images from the dmg archive and restore them onto your device.

End result would be a fresh iOS 5.1.1 iPad 3, and a "backup" of your device that you can use again.

OP
V

VanOfBees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
>>Considering that it's iOS 5.1.1, you can try mounting the ramdisk on your iPad 3 and extracting the dmg image out of your iPad,
Can you do this when it is only in DFU mode - or more to the point, without booting fully into the OS (which I can't do)

>> re-restore your iPad to 5.1.1 (assuming you have iOS 5.1.1 blobs or Semirestore recognizes your device), extract the desired images from the dmg archive and restore them onto your device. End result would be a fresh iOS 5.1.1 iPad 3, and a "backup" of your device that you can use again.
Unfortunately Semirestore requires you to be able to boot into the OS so that's not an option. I don't have a 5.1.1 blob, but I can cydia appears to have a 6.0.1 blob I might be able to use.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whoops. Was thinking about boot logo and dimmed boot logo. You're right.

And extracting via Ramdisk is done in SSH while the device is in DFU mode

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts