What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Storage Issue

Karen24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, I have an iPad Air 128GB, and in the past couple of weeks I have started to get a message advising I am almost out of storage. I have checked in Settings and it looks like I am using 106GB, however when I check in Manage Storage and manually add up the storage used by all of my Apps, it is only around 33GB. I am at a real loss as to what could possibly be using 70GB that I'm not aware of. Can anyone help or advise please? Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF!

Do you backup your device to iCloud, do you use iCloud Photo Library? Maybe you're almost out of the 5 GB that you get for free from iCloud. In that case, you can buy additional storage space, or remove pictures from your Photos app, if you don't want to upgrade.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you sure you added up all the apps? Sometimes the app list is abbreviated with a Show All button as the last item.

I doubt it will match exactly, but it should be closer than that.

I have way too many apps (and plenty of space left) to spend my time adding them all up; so I'm being lazy and not double checking my own numbers against the summary at the top.

Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage (Storage section not iCloud)

OP
K

Karen24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF!

Do you backup your device to iCloud, do you use iCloud Photo Library? Maybe you're almost out of the 5 GB that you get for free from iCloud. In that case, you can buy additional storage space, or remove pictures from your Photos app, if you don't want to upgrade.

Thanks for the response J.A. It's definitely not iCloud Storage. I have already upgraded that and only using 10GB there. This problem is definitely with the iPad storage itself.

OP
K

Karen24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure you added up all the apps? Sometimes the app list is abbreviated with a Show All button as the last item.

I doubt it will match exactly, but it should be closer than that.

I have way too many apps (and plenty of space left) to spend my time adding them all up; so I'm being lazy and not double checking my own numbers against the summary at the top.

Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage (Storage section not iCloud)

Thanks for the response. I am definitely adding up all my apps, and there is no Show More option so this is definitely everything as far as I can see. Have checked the storage this morning and it's gone up to 110GB now. The only thing I have done since yesterday is buy a TV box set from iTunes, but I haven't downloaded any episodes, and the video app is showing 0GB.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you have an so that's continuously updating in the background, storing massive amounts of data on your iPad. Facebook is notorious for this. Try going into settings and make sure that none of your apps is allowed to refresh in the background.

Also, did you download any new apps just before this mysterious data usage began?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Connect your iPad to a computer and take a look at it's storage in iTunes. If there's a big amount of a storage called "Other" (orange colour), restore your iPad using iTunes.

icbruins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get the same message about my storage. I thought well I will just delete the last video .that did nothing so I kept deleting.i went from approx 640 videos to 2 I did the same with camera roll and photo stream in photos I deleted 1,400 photos.all this and still get same message. However I just notice a new album in library that says recently deleted.in this were all those that I deleted.obviously they are still being counted in my usage.are they there for only a short time or what

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get the same message about my storage. I thought well I will just delete the last video .that did nothing so I kept deleting.i went from approx 640 videos to 2 I did the same with camera roll and photo stream in photos I deleted 1,400 photos.all this and still get same message. However I just notice a new album in library that says recently deleted.in this were all those that I deleted.obviously they are still being counted in my usage.are they there for only a short time or what
The recently deleted folder holds the photos for 30 days, when they'll be permanently deleted. You can permanently delete them early or return them to the camera roll.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the videos and photos are in Recently Deleted, they still are taking storage space on your iPad. You'll have to delete them to free up some usage.

Most reactions

Latest posts