What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad sound

stupidmuggles1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad isn't playing sound while I am typing or in a game app. My sound is all the way up, and it works when I play music or a video. Please help!!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Stupidmuggles (I feel bad calling you that!)

Aside from the good device that idave23 gave you...have you tried to check your sound settings? If you haven't yet, go to ipad settings/sounds/keyboard clicks. Check to see if key board clicks are turned on.

Regarding the sound in your games--go to the games that you play and see if there is an option for music to be turned on/off. Give that a try as well. Post back if it doesn't help you.

Also: Welcome to the iPadForum! This forum is loaded with invaluable information which contain topics including: General Discussion of the iPad, iPad Operating System, iPad App Store, Accessories, and Ipad for Business and Education.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country. See here:Regional iPad Groups

If you have not already done so, please take a moment to download the iPad Manual User Guide iOS 5. This is extremely helpful if you are new to the iPad world.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

Finally, please take the time to read the Forum Rules:
Forum rules - everybody please read!!

Best Wishes and Enjoy!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like Mute. This can be turned on/off either using the slide switch next to to the volume buttons, or in the multitask bar. See below link for info on how to check you settings for the side switch.

iPad: Understanding the side switch

Contrary to common sense, Mute does not stop all iPad sounds. It only stops system sounds like; key clicks, alerts, ringing, etc. Music, video, and most game audio will are not affected. It's mostly about stopping the iPad from making awkward noises at meetings, the theater, or during grandpa's fishing stories.

That said, my system sounds did stop the other day, and Mute was not on. A restart fixed it right up.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like Mute. This can be turned on/off either using the slide switch next to to the volume buttons, or in the multitask bar. See below link for info on how to check you settings for the side switch.

iPad: Understanding the side switch

Contrary to common sense, Mute does not stop all iPad sounds. It only stops system sounds like; key clicks, alerts, ringing, etc. Music, video, and most game audio will are not affected. It's mostly about stopping the iPad from making awkward noises at meetings, the theater, or during grandpa's fishing stories.

That said, my system sounds did stop the other day, and Mute was not on. A restart fixed it right up.

I didn't know that about the mute only muted certain things. I thought it was an all or none.

Well I have learned another new tip from you, twerppoet. Thank you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

A few other things about sound settings, just because.

To shut off all sounds hold the volume down button for a couple seconds. It goes to zero almost immediately. Takes longer to turn it back up.

However, this may not shut of system sounds. If you've got Change with Buttons turned off in the Sounds settings ,the system sounds will still be whatever that volume is set to. In that case you'll need to mute and turn the volume off to eliminate all possible sounds.

And for those who don't know, the iPad keeps separate volume levels for the speaker and headphone jack. Don't expect turning the volume down/off on one to affect the other.

MrsAhChing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All my settings are turned ON...I don't hear the clicking sound BUT I'm able to play YouTube and watch movies that's about it...

Help please

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to the previous posts, read the Understanding the Side Switch link, and make sure you do not have mute enabled either on the switch, or in the multitasking bar. Mute is the most likely cause of the symptoms you are describing.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From general settings change switch properties from orientation to mute.

Then manually mute the ipad from the physical switch.

Then unmute from physical switch.

In game sound should now be working.

It's a bug...

iQuandary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kudos for fixing my iPad "no sounds from games" problem!

From general settings change switch properties from orientation to mute.

Then manually mute the ipad from the physical switch.

Then unmute from physical switch.

In game sound should now be working.

It's a bug...

Thanks so much for helping me make my iPad work normally again! :thumbs: This sound problem has been "bugging" (lol) me for months. So glad it's fixed.

AleySanfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help playing sounds in iPad

I have turned off and on the iPad and it still not making any sound. I also went to settings sound and went to all my games. Please help!!!!!!!!

glabella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. But mine was all of a sudden the sound refused to work I did everything reset, blah blah HELLPPP

redalertgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That helped me. It was the mute button. I never thought to check it because some sounds were working. Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts