What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad slower after ios5?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Threads like these make me wonder if anyone has come out with benchmarking software for iPads and other iDevices. It would be nice to have definite performance measures...
Yes, as a matter of fact, they do! :)

Original iPad (WiFi):

screen-shot-2011-10-13-at-4-00-31-pm.png

iPad 2 (WiFi + 3G):

screen-shot-2011-10-12-at-6-19-19-pm.png

Conclusions

If you use the web more than anything else on your iOS device, then you should be eager to apply each and every update that Apple puts out, since they all improve Safari’s performance every time. iOS 5 is no exception in that regard.

Considering all of the new features you get with iOS 5.0, the hit on performance in other areas is in most cases negligible. In fact, with the exception of the original iPad (the older device that was tested), all devices actually gained in performance in most areas. That is simply amazing for the first release of a major OS update. This is nothing like the 4.0 release, where we saw incremental performance gains over the lifetime of 4.0 to restore what was lost to older device; iOS 5.0 is a solid release for all where performance is concerned. Source.

For those suffering from questionable performance after the iOS 5 upgrade, resetting (not restarting) the iPad has had a positive impact for a number of users and is worth a try.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.

If that doesn't do it, restoring your iPad may be what's needed, as previously outlined by f4780y:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-1-forum/51791-ipad-slower-after-ios5.html#post354507

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

artcomm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, my iPad and my iPhone both got a lot slower with iOS5

Obviously for iPad original users. I would like to know if anyone else's iPad is NOTICEABLY sluggish, or if it's just mine.

Unfortunately it isn't only yours the sluggish one. Mine is, too. Way too slow! It is slow especially using PAGES. Also, I have always, since day one about 18 months ago or more, used the Apple blutooth keyboard and I was sooo happy with the experience! But now all the happiness is gone with Pages (and other applications), but especially with Pages.

It is sluuuugggggiiiiiisssssshhhhhh! I hit backspace and it waits and waits and then I can see the cursor moving, slowly.

When I start typing it duplicates the first letter typed. Also, it takes ages to find the e-mail address of a contact when using the e-mail iPad/iPhone "normal" client.

Was it Job's death? Something happened. I just noticed that here, even though it isn't too slow, the spellchecker doesn't work and it also duplicates the first letter you enter after you haven't entered any letters for a few seconds (like 4 or 5).

Hopefully they will come out with an all improved iOS5 version soon.

zulu789

iPF Noob
Reaction score
artcomm said:
Unfortunately it isn't only yours the sluggish one. Mine is, too. Way too slow! It is slow especially using PAGES. Also, I have always, since day one about 18 months ago or more, used the Apple blutooth keyboard and I was sooo happy with the experience! But now all the happiness is gone with Pages (and other applications), but especially with Pages.

It is sluuuugggggiiiiiisssssshhhhhh! I hit backspace and it waits and waits and then I can see the cursor moving, slowly.

When I start typing it duplicates the first letter typed. Also, it takes ages to find the e-mail address of a contact when using the e-mail iPad/iPhone "normal" client.

Was it Job's death? Something happened. I just noticed that here, even though it isn't too slow, the spellchecker doesn't work and it also duplicates the first letter you enter after you haven't entered any letters for a few seconds (like 4 or 5).

Hopefully they will come out with an all improved iOS5 version soon.

I have the same problem. I've restored the iOS, I've tried process killer, I've turned off iCloud. I reboot (lock + home button) several times/day.

It become unusable with apps like Evernote. I'm into this device for a lot of $$$. I was hoping it would go longer before being obsolete.

Ipad1
3G
64gb

zulu789

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice if the problem can be resolved with a patch, however I think it has more to do with the memory spec's of the iPad1 vs. iPad2. Clearly IOS 5 isn't optimized for the 256MB of DDR ram that the iPad1 has.

Technical specifications
IPAD1 IPAD2
Further information: iPad technical specifications
January 27, 2010[SUP][29][/SUP]March 2, 2011[SUP][87][/SUP]
April 3, 2010[SUP][3][/SUP]March 11, 2011[SUP][88][/SUP]
March 2, 2011[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]In production
9.7 inches (25 cm) multitouch display at a resolution of 1024 × 768 pixels with LED backlighting and a fingerprint and scratch-resistant coating[SUP][13][/SUP]
1 GHz Apple A4 system-on-a-chip[SUP][14][/SUP]1 GHz (dynamically clocked) dual-core Apple A5 system on a chip
256 MB DDR RAM built into Apple A4 package[SUP][15][/SUP]512 MB DDR2 (1066 Mbit/s data rate) RAM built into Apple A5 package[SUP][16][/SUP]
16, 32, or 64 GB[SUP][13][/SUP]
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR[SUP][13][/SUP]
3G cellular HSDPA, 2G cellular EDGE on 3G models[SUP][13][/SUP]
Wi-Fi,[SUP][13][/SUP] Apple location databases[SUP][89][/SUP]
Assisted GPS, Apple databases,[SUP][89][/SUP] Cellular network[SUP][13][/SUP]
Accelerometer, ambient light sensor,magnetometer[SUP][13][/SUP]Additionally: gyroscope
iOS 5.0
Built-in lithium-ion polymer battery; (10 hours video,[SUP][13][/SUP] 140 hours audio,[SUP][90][/SUP] 1 month standby[SUP][91][/SUP])
Wi-Fi model: 680 g (1.5 lb)
3G model: 730 g (1.6 lb)
Wi-Fi model: 601 g (1.32 lb)
GSM 3G (AT&T) model: 613 g (1.35 lb)
CDMA 3G (Verizon) model: 607 g (1.34 lb)
9.56×7.47×.528 in (243×190×13.4 mm)[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][92][/SUP]9.5×7.31×.346 in (240×186×8.8 mm)[SUP][92][/SUP]
Home, sleep, volume rocker, variable function switch (originally screen rotation lock, mute in iOS 4.2, either in 4.3)[SUP][13][/SUP]
N/A720p HD still and video camera
0.7 MP, 30fps and 5x digital zoom
N/AVGA-quality still camera, 0.3 MP
130 kg CO2e[SUP][93][/SUP]105 kg CO2e[SUP][94][/SUP]

iPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice if the problem can be resolved with a patch, however I think it has more to do with the memory spec's of the iPad1 vs. iPad2. Clearly IOS 5 isn't optimized for the 256MB of DDR ram that the iPad1 has.
Agreed...as the benchmarks clearly show. The possible good news is historically Apple has addresses similar issues after various iPhone upgrades...subsequent updates improved the performance of the newer iOS on older equipment. Let's hope that will be the case for original iPad owners. iOS 5.0.1 is due out in a "few weeks" and the dev release includes multitasking gestures for the original iPad...ideally other improvements "under the hood" will be part of it as well.

zulu789

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After reading a story about Apple engineers reaching out to iPhone 4s users to discuss battery issues I called support about my iPad 1 memory issues. Yesterday I spoke to a tech that admitted she was so far down the food chain there's nothing she could do. She then offered to replace my device (which is about 1yr out of warranty) with another refurb'd iPad 1. I told her while I appreciate the effort how is this going to fix a memory problem. Still undecided if I will replace it.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After reading a story about Apple engineers reaching out to iPhone 4s users to discuss battery issues I called support about my iPad 1 memory issues. Yesterday I spoke to a tech that admitted she was so far down the food chain there's nothing she could do. She then offered to replace my device (which is about 1yr out of warranty) with another refurb'd iPad 1. I told her while I appreciate the effort how is this going to fix a memory problem. Still undecided if I will replace it.
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I think you're right...if you mean by "memory problem" that your original iPad's performance after upgrading to iOS 5 isn't as speedy as it once was. As mentioned, historically Apple has addressed these kinds of issues for the iPhone with updates, but there's certainly no guarantee that will happen in this case.

That a company would offer to fully replace an out-of-warranty product still speaks to Apple's amazing desire to stand behind their products IMHO. I can't think of another example like it. But I agree, that doesn't "fix" the immediate concern. Hopefully we'll see some improvement with future updates.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine is definitely slower, especially in Pages. It takes forever to load, then often there is a delay when I type. Very noticeable and annoying.

64GB with 3G

Interesting thing about the Pages delay. I have an iPad 1, very few applications, no games, perhaps 50 songs, no video, no extra images, and Pages runs noticeable slower these days. I often see delays when I type.

Not sure what that really means, but something has changed. When jailbrokeke my device, things were not as slow as they are today.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting thing about the Pages delay. I have an iPad 1, very few applications, no games, perhaps 50 songs, no video, no extra images, and Pages runs noticeable slower these days. I often see delays when I type.

Not sure what that really means, but something has changed. When jailbrokeke my device, things were not as slow as they are today.
I'm seeing the same things and it's very disappointing when, as you say, it was pretty speedy before this last upgrade.

I think it's obvious that iOS 5 puts a heavier demand on both processing and memory and we're experiencing the resulting slowdown, at least with some apps. I really hope they're able to improve the performance with future updates.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm seeing the same things and it's very disappointing when, as you say, it was pretty speedy before this last upgrade.

I think it's obvious that iOS 5 puts a heavier demand on both processing and memory and we're experiencing the resulting slowdown, at least with some apps. I really hope they're able to improve the performance with future updates.

Hold on, let me clarify. I am not running iOS 5. I cannot see the advantages until an untethered jailbreak arrives. I do not remember what the original iOS version was, but I did upgrade to something. My iPad is slower these days. Or perhaps I should say not perhaps slower, but a definite lag while typing in Pages.

I am not so sure that iOS 5 will offer me much past (apparently) slower performance.

Could it be that iOS/iPad stores lots of data that does not get deleted? I have found remnants of deleted themes in the themes folder. Perhaps when you install stuff and delete stuff, stuff remains? Bob does not know.

Not sure what happened, but I am a light-weight as far as apps and craps go, so my tiny amount of memory still has plenty of room. Very little except iFile, Pages, Numbes, Knowtilus, and TapForms. I recently deleted a copius quantity of crap. Although I did allow myself Blaze. Just too cool to avoid; it looks like my Winstep theme, CopperDeck. Oddly enough, it matches my orange silk shirt, black tie, and black blazer.

But I digress.

All I do know for sure, it is not Apple it is me. Smiley.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hold on, let me clarify. I am not running iOS 5. I cannot see the advantages until an untethered jailbreak arrives. I do not remember what the original iOS version was, but I did upgrade to something. My iPad is slower these days. Or perhaps I should say not perhaps slower, but a definite lag while typing in Pages.

I am not so sure that iOS 5 will offer me much past (apparently) slower performance.

Could it be that iOS/iPad stores lots of data that does not get deleted? I have found remnants of deleted themes in the themes folder. Perhaps when you install stuff and delete stuff, stuff remains? Bob does not know.

Not sure what happened, but I am a light-weight as far as apps and craps go, so my tiny amount of memory still has plenty of room. Very little except iFile, Pages, Numbes, Knowtilus, and TapForms. I recently deleted a copius quantity of crap. Although I did allow myself Blaze. Just too cool to avoid; it looks like my Winstep theme, CopperDeck. Oddly enough, it matches my orange silk shirt, black tie, and black blazer.

But I digress.

All I do know for sure, it is not Apple it is me. Smiley.
Ah, okay, got it...just slower then...understood. Here are some tips I'm sure you already know and/or have tried to get things back to normal.

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

If that doesn't do it, try restarting the iPad and if that still doesn't do it try resetting it.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

I'm actually going to wipe my iPad (DFU/Recovery Mode) and take it back to factory specs, at least with w/iOS 5, just to see if there's any improvement on a device with nothing but what God...er...Apple gave it and see if it helps with the performance. It'll be good to clean out the "cruft" as they say anyway. Also, I'm with you, I'm waiting for an untethered JB to arrive as well.

FWIW, here are the specs for your iPad from the original OS until now...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-1-forum/51791-ipad-slower-after-ios5-2.html#post356866

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah, okay, got it...just slower then...understood. Here are some tips I'm sure you already know and/or have tried to get things back to normal.

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

If that doesn't do it, try restarting the iPad and if that still doesn't do it try resetting it.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

I'm actually going to wipe my iPad (DFU/Recovery Mode) and take it back to factory specs, at least with w/iOS 5, just to see if there's any improvement on a device with nothing but what God...er...Apple gave it and see if it helps with the performance. It'll be good to clean out the "cruft" as they say anyway. Also, I'm with you, I'm waiting for an untethered JB to arrive as well.

FWIW, here are the specs for your iPad from the original OS until now...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-1-forum/51791-ipad-slower-after-ios5-2.html#post356866

Tried the Reset and Restart, Richard. Does not make a difference or perhaps it does. This AM, things were fine and the iPad was snappy. I was not awake yet, but my iPad was. During lunch, it was slower. I think. I noticed the Pages issue was gone; after an hour of typing, it returned. It is there in the GMail App and not there in the notepad features of my Browser. Sporadic. Bob hates sporadic. It does not really bother me except I am the kind of guy that really likes to know what is going on, even if I do not understand it. Much too Anal I suppose.

I know my Android phone has issue with deletes. I still find remaining folders and images from things I long ago deleted. Perhaps over time, like Winders, crap builds up and it takes effort to get rid of everything.

My question is if you are not jailbroken and files do accumulate, how do users delete the crap if they can"t get to it? With finite menmory, I see a problem. Or is this not at all a concern?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried the Reset and Restart, Richard. Does not make a difference or perhaps it does. This AM, things were fine and the iPad was snappy. I was not awake yet, but my iPad was. During lunch, it was slower. I think. I noticed the Pages issue was gone; after an hour of typing, it returned. It is there in the GMail App and not there in the notepad features of my Browser. Sporadic. Bob hates sporadic. It does not really bother me except I am the kind of guy that really likes to know what is going on, even if I do not understand it. Much too Anal I suppose.

I know my Android phone has issue with deletes. I still find remaining folders and images from things I long ago deleted. Perhaps over time, like Winders, crap builds up and it takes effort to get rid of everything.

My question is if you are not jailbroken and files do accumulate, how do users delete the crap if they can"t get to it? With finite menmory, I see a problem. Or is this not at all a concern?
Rich and Bob are cut from the same cloth. :rolleyes: You should be able to go into the various apps that have files and delete them no? My understanding is that if you delete an app the files go with it. No empirical proof of that though. One of the nice features of iOS 5 is that it actually shows you how much storage space the data from each app is using.

I'm in the middle of the Recovery right now and I'm going to set it up as a new iPad (I can always restore it from backup later). I want to see how it runs on a fresh install of iOS 5. I'll post back...sooner or later. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts