What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad slower after ios5?

Miata GT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a restore and reload on my iPad 1 yesterday and it really seemed to improve responses.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Miata GT said:
I did a restore and reload on my iPad 1 yesterday and it really seemed to improve responses.

A sluggish device is in my experience invariably the result of a bad upgrade. A restore, as you discovered, very often cures it, provided you set the device up as a new iPad.

lynnspain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
A sluggish device is in my experience invariably the result of a bad upgrade. A restore, as you discovered, very often cures it, provided you set the device up as a new iPad.

Unlike most people here my iPad 1 ( wifi only) did not slow down too much after the upgrade. However a major issue with the wifi performance as in I have to sit the iPad almost on top of the modem to get it to work. Move a few inches away and the signal drops. Do you have any ideas on this please and would you know if the next update is fixing this kind of thing? Have done all the resets and so on. They at least allowed me to connect, but as I say only if sat on top of wifi modem.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlike most people here my iPad 1 ( wifi only) did not slow down too much after the upgrade. However a major issue with the wifi performance as in I have to sit the iPad almost on top of the modem to get it to work. Move a few inches away and the signal drops. Do you have any ideas on this please and would you know if the next update is fixing this kind of thing? Have done all the resets and so on. They at least allowed me to connect, but as I say only if sat on top of wifi modem.
It's just you. :) Here's what to do...

The first thing I would do is to try deleting the network connection on your iPad and then go back and set it up again. Settings > Wi-Fi > tap on your network > Forget this Network.

Several other things often help improve WiFi connections on the iPad. Simply shutting down apps and restarting the iPad can fix most issues.

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

If that doesn't do it, try restarting the iPad and if that still doesn't do it try resetting it.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Distance from the Wi-Fi router can impact the signal as well as interference from other electronics including microwaves, wireless home phones, cell phones, etc. Walls and floors with metallic studs can have a negative impact on Wi-Fi signals as well. Sometimes moving the Wi-Fi modem/router closer to where you use the iPad most can help.

Another tip is to reboot your network and everything on it including your modem, router, etc. while your iPad is off. Turn your iPad back on and see if the connection has improved.

The iPad works best with the WPA or WPA2 security protocol. Setting the modem/router to WPA or WPA2 will often improve and stabilize Wi-Fi connections.

Here's some more info if none of that works...

iPad: Issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/30525-checklist-troubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/38535-slowing-i-pad2-2.html#post291682

Hope that helps!

lynnspain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all that info. Some I have already done but will work through the rest when I am home. Thank you again.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad seems the same speed wise after ios5 and 5.0.1. Only thing that happens is safari crashes on the odd occasion when alot of tabs are open

Ambivalentman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I have an ipad original and installed the ios5, somehow its still ok and running smoothly. Except if you load tons of applications in it, then it is very evident to be slow

lynnspain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After 5.0.1 update the iPad original seems to be a lot crisper for me. Still having probs with wifi modem Internet anywhere (Huawei), seems ok with normal wifi now with this update. Perhaps the issue is with a weak signal, it wasn't a problem before but what can I do.

I hope everyone else has managed to iron out their issues, let's face it, the iPad is still a dream machine and as a person who moved over to apple mac a year ago, after wanting to for years, ( mac mini and iPad original) they are still far superior to windows machines in the feel and speed. Perhaps these issues could be because of the volume of machines they now sell compared to before.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Safari keeps crashing
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about that. If an app gets temperamental there are a couple of things you can do. First is to simply quit the app and reopen it. If that does't work you can try turning your iPad off and on again and if it's still not working, try resetting your iPad. The last measure is to delete and reinstall the app. Here's what I'd recommend in this order...

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Sleep/wake switch on the top edge of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake switch until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

FWIW if it's the same website that keeps causing the crash, it may not have been optimized for mobile devices. There's not much you can do about that.

Hope that helps, welcome again and enjoy!

Most reactions

Latest posts