What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad screen colors all messed up

petedod74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I woke up this morning grabbed my iPad to check the weather and the colors on the screen are all screwed up. Tried a restart, no good. Tried a reset, no good. Tried a restore, no good. Took it to the genius bar and they informed me it would be $299 to replace the LCD screen. Any ideas/ suggestions would be much appreciated.

julesbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody? Mine just started having the same problem, out of the blue. If it is the LCD screen I found a place online that'll replace it for $129.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

We have gotten a few reports from members on this issue and I'm sorry to say there hasn't been a solution as yet other than to contact Apple.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

julesbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome!

After MUCH more Googling, I found some others who had this same problem. They suggested to tap it on a table or clap the back of the iPad. Crazy, right? But I tapped it three times, then clapped it on the back. And voila! Beautiful intact colors again. right?

I already have an Otterbox defender case on it, but lesson learned: no more letting the 4-year-old carry the iPad around! Until recently I only allowed my daughter (almost 5) to use the iPad while seated on the couch, and never to walk around with it. But lately I have become complacent. No mas!

Last edited by a moderator:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
julesbo said:

After MUCH more Googling, I found some others who had this same problem. They suggested to tap it on a table or clap the back of the iPad. Crazy, right? But I tapped it three times, then clapped it on the back. And voila! Beautiful intact colors again. right?

I already have an Otterbox defender case on it, but lesson learned: no more letting the 4-year-old carry the iPad around! Until recently I only allowed my daughter (almost 5) to use the iPad while seated on the couch, and never to walk around with it. But lately I have become complacent. No mas!

I'm so glad your problem is now fixed! I too had a look last night and came across the same advice. I'm glad this fixed your problem, but I shan't give the same advice as this could also lead to more problems for some.
I keep getting a picture in my head of cracked screens, and other things being jarred loose, so to anyone trying this advice, please be very aware of what further damage may be inflicted on your iPad!!

sheryls1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazing. My colors on my screen were all messed up. Reminded me of looking at a bad color TV in the 60s. 3 claps on the back did the trick. A Heimlich maneuver for iPads! Should I still report the incident to Apple?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sheryls1 said:
Amazing. My colors on my screen were all messed up. Reminded me of looking at a bad color TV in the 60s. 3 claps on the back did the trick. A Heimlich maneuver for iPads! Should I still report the incident to Apple?

Hi and welcome o the Forum!

If your iPad is still under warranty, I would be reporting it in case it happens again.

heidimsunshine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After our cat knocked my well protected IPad off the table, we had the same issue. We were fairly resigned to having to purchase a new iPad. I must say I found this solution and proceeded with the gusto of one who has nothing to lose. It worked! My Apple husband couldn't believe it and has insisted that I post to support this solution. He would have dismissed this as voodoo. Yes, it isn't the my gentlest of Support solutions but it is better than shelling out for a new iPad.

Aet1164

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Messed up colors

OMG- it looked like my iPad had dropped acid with all the messed up colors. Restart failed *2, etc. sure enough, after I read the thread below I tried three gentle-ish back side blows to the iPad and VOILA! Color restored to baseline!
Thanks for your help!

Carlo R

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Awesome! I'm not a fan of banging electronics but the old adage is "if it's broke and can't be fixed, you just need a bigger hammer." I have a pretty sturdy case on my iPad 2 and after trying everything and reading LOTS of advice, this worked. I was a little freaked out at first because every time I tapped it on the table, a multitude of colors came up. Until the last time I tapped it and all was good in the world. My only fear is will the slightest bump freak it out again? It's sad that just "getting a bigger hammer" is the solution for an electronic device I spent a lot of money on from a company I would have thought had a fix for this. Jeez.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your iPad is out of warranty then this fix may appeal to you but please if any of you still have warranty, take your iPad back to Apple and they will exchange it for you. Just thought I'd throw this in here. Good luck!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Reaction score
I hope I'm not beating this thread with repeat replays but last night I dropped my pad while I was falling asleep standing lol
When I picked it Up and the colors were all most up I thought I was going to cry especially when I didn't buy the 2 year plan because of money.
So before I started crying lol I checked the net and I found this website and when I saw the fix that people were saying I found it hard to believe it would work but since it hurt anymore than it was I decided to try the tapping of the iPad on thet table Nd flipping over and booty smacking it and it took a couple of Ty's but it really works THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH

NielNiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope I'm not beating this thread with repeat replays but last night I dropped my pad while I was falling asleep standing lol
When I picked it Up and the colors were all most up I thought I was going to cry especially when I didn't buy the 2 year plan because of money.
So before I started crying lol I checked the net and I found this website and when I saw the fix that people were saying I found it hard to believe it would work but since it hurt anymore than it was I decided to try the tapping of the iPad on thet table Nd flipping over and booty smacking it and it took a couple of Ty's but it really works THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH

Miracle. Congratz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reaction score
Try giving it 3 gentlish slaps on the back
I had the same problem just a couple minutes ago and I slapped in on the back 3 times and it was back to normal

Most reactions

Latest posts