What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad pro seems to cause issues with router

kmac1986

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 2016 ipad pro 9.7. I have uverse internet with AT&T’s standard issue router/modem, a motorola NVG510. The ipad is the only apple product I own. So basically every time I try to stream anything for more than 20 minutes or so (like netflix, prime video,etc), my router screws up.

No access to the internet from any device. Can’t even access the router’s admin page. But all the lights on the front of the router are on, indicating that everything is functioning normally. So I try to connect using my galaxy phone and the wifi app tells me that my credentials are invalid.

I unplug the router for a few minutes and plug it back in and everything is back to normal. It doesn’t do this with any other device, just my ipad, and only after streaming video for several minutes. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thanks in advance, Brian

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a problem with the router. Have you tried another router to see if the problems continue? If they don't, that would be good evidence that the problem is with your router.

OP
K

kmac1986

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don’t have another router to test with. It could be a router issue like you say, but I am the only one having issues. We have two rokus, a laptop (w/ windows 10), and a Fire tablet. One of the roku’s gets used quite a lot for streaming (not by me), but it’s just me with the ipad who is having issues, and only when streaming. That’s what’s so odd about it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t have another router to test with. It could be a router issue like you say, but I am the only one having issues. We have two rokus, a laptop (w/ windows 10), and a Fire tablet. One of the roku’s gets used quite a lot for streaming (not by me), but it’s just me with the ipad who is having issues, and only when streaming. That’s what’s so odd about it.
Maybe the router can't handle the bandwidth for streaming to your iPad. It's not unknown for a router to have problems with one device while working perfectly with other devices.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don’t know that much about how uverse works but perhaps that router is not for internet.

OP
K

kmac1986

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe the router can't handle the bandwidth for streaming to your iPad. It's not unknown for a router to have problems with one device while working perfectly with other devices.

I appreciate your suggestions. I plan to call AT&T monday and make an appointment for a technician to come have a look. Thanks and happy holidays.

Brian

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate your suggestions. I plan to call AT&T monday and make an appointment for a technician to come have a look. Thanks and happy holidays.

Brian
You're welcome. Let us know if the tech finds anything wrong with the router.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don’t know that much about how uverse works but perhaps that router is not for internet.

Hi Thomas - your response may be confusing for others, i.e. the OP's modem/router combo device is meant to provide broadband internet and also provide a Wi-Fi network, so not correct to state that the router is 'not for internet', sorry. Dave :)

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Brian - welcome to our forum! :) I've been following your thread but had little to offer - my initial responses would have been to reboot your router/modem and iPad and to go into Settings on the iPad and 'Forget the Network', assume that you've done all of that? Another question is whether you have tried your iPad on other Wi-Fi networks, e.g. some local hot spot or a hotel?

In 2013 when I switched from PCs (using a Linksys router at the time) to Apple, I could not get my new iMac to work w/ the old router - bought an Apple Extreme router and has been working fine for nearly 4 years - not saying that will be your solution, but when you evaluation is done, a choice may be to just use your ISP's modem (sans router), and obtain a different router - good luck and let us know, a common issue. Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts