What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad - Pages Question Tim Help!

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm working on a basic Newsletter using Pages and need to know how to do page breaks - and columns (specifically 2 columns on a one or two pages of the Newsletter) . What am I doing wrong? When I selected columns it does it for the entire Newsletter.

Thanks in advance ThePhotog

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Columns.....OK - the way to get, say, double columns for just a specific area of text in Pages is to select the area of text you want to be in double columns, before choosing the double columns option. If you don't select text then, as you've found, Pages applies it to the entire document.

I find the easiest way is to write the entire document first - no fancy formatting - then to apply columns etc at the end.

Page breaks - don't know of a way so I end up with multiple line feeds :(

I'd be interested if anyone has found a way around that one.....

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Each page can be changed to a different column layout. Just place the cursor on that page and change the layout. It only changes that page. When new pages are created by typing or using a page break they have the same layout as the preceding page. That's why it looks like you are applying it to the whole document. Just create the layout you want on the first page, and change it as desired as you create the new pages

For long complicated documents that you don't want to adjust constantly, Tim's suggestion of write it all then change the layout is probably best.

You can also place columns almost any way you want on a page by using the Text Shape. Just create the shape, copy paste the text inside it, then resize and adjust it until all the text is visible where you want it. This should work pretty well with short articles that take up no more than one page. Get rid of the boarder (if you want) by changing the shape's style.

For page breaks, with the ruler tools visible tap on the tab icon (arrow pointing at a vertical line). You can create tabs, line breaks, column breaks, and page breaks. To remove them (I don't know of any way to make them visible) you place the cursor after them and tap delete until the break collapses to the previous page/column/line.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Each page can be changed to a different column layout. Just place the cursor on that page and change the layout. It only changes that page. When new pages are created by typing or using a page break they have the same layout as the preceding page. That's why it looks like you are applying it to the whole document.

For page breaks, with the ruler tools visible tap on the tab icon (arrow pointing at a vertical line). You can create tabs, line breaks, column breaks, and page breaks.

Thanks!!!!! It's my amazing new fact for today!! Now I don't have to use multiple line feeds any longer...thanks again.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks. It must be a sign of me getting old but I started using Pages in a particular way and never really looked for an easier way to do things. But your suggestions are great!! Many thanks.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I almost always learn more trying to answer other people's questions. When I'm doing stuff, just like you, I tend to use what I already know.

A month or so ago someone asked a question, and as part of my stumbling process I set up a fake newsletter. That's when I discovered most of these features. Though until to day I thought the columns were document wide. It was only when you said you could select text that I decided to experiment with them. So I learned a valuable new trick too.

Thanks back at you. :D

@ThePhotog, BTW, Tim's suggestion works too if you want to change the column layout for just a portion of the page. I did not mean it to sound like it was only possible to change whole pages, which on re-reading my post, it does.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts