What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Organizer App

cjgrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cjgrace.com
I can't believe that out of all the apps out there that there is not one with the basic capability of ancient Microsoft Outlook. The Ipad is the coolest thing ever and there are so many off the chart apps, it is hard to believe that not one manages email, calendar, contacts, to do's. There are seperate app's for each of these tasks but none that combine them to one daily organizer. Simple features like linking contacts to events in the calendar, linking documents to contacts profiles, attaching a document to emails, and push management for all of the above.

If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know. I love the ipad, I just wish I could find a solution that worked.

Thanks

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an Outlook account that allows syncing, you will have all you need. I have an account at work that I am sync with and it notifies me of e-mails on all of my accounts, and reminds me of events, etc.

OP
C

cjgrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cjgrace.com
syncing

thanks for the response. I know I can sync to the ipad that is not my problem.
If the ipad calendar,email, etc. would allow the things I put in the original post I would just use them but they suck worse than Outlook. They don't allow much.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see the future possibilities of apps that do just what you're asking for.

Btw cjgrace, Im from Alexandria, good to see some local activity around here. Also, we have a fab plant located in Denham Springs.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I can't believe that out of all the apps out there that there is not one with the basic capability of ancient Microsoft Outlook. The Ipad is the coolest thing ever and there are so many off the chart apps, it is hard to believe that not one manages email, calendar, contacts, to do's. There are seperate app's for each of these tasks but none that combine them to one daily organizer. Simple features like linking contacts to events in the calendar(calendar app does this), linking documents to contacts profiles(I dont see a good use for this), attaching a document to emails(This can already be done), and push management for all of the above(This is already done for email,contacts,calendar... You have to have an exchange email server for it to work or Mobile Me).

If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know. I love the ipad, I just wish I could find a solution that worked.

Thanks

I dont see any problem with how it is now. Apples way of thinking is that they have an app for each thing, Contacts, Calendar, Email... They have a team for each one that only has to focus on making the one app and its function work good. They dont have to worry about all the teams trying to combine everything into one app and trying to get it all to work together without problems (like MS does).

A lot of stuff your asking for can already be done for those apps its just a matter of getting out of the MS Outlook way of thinking.

I've also been using OS 4.0 and there are updates to these apps making them more usable. I love how they now give you the option to check all emails for all your accounts in one inbox now.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The applets on the iPad don't come close to the functionality of Outlook.

I'd love to be able to "drag" and e-mail message to my ToDo list and automatically create an item, or to drop a threaded message into a meeting.

Perhaps we should all be e-mailing the Documents To Go folks about their next iPad product?

OP
C

cjgrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cjgrace.com
?????

I can't believe that out of all the apps out there that there is not one with the basic capability of ancient Microsoft Outlook. The Ipad is the coolest thing ever and there are so many off the chart apps, it is hard to believe that not one manages email, calendar, contacts, to do's. There are seperate app's for each of these tasks but none that combine them to one daily organizer. Simple features like linking contacts to events in the calendar(calendar app does this), linking documents to contacts profiles(I dont see a good use for this), attaching a document to emails(This can already be done), and push management for all of the above(This is already done for email,contacts,calendar... You have to have an exchange email server for it to work or Mobile Me).

Thanks

I dont see any problem with how it is now. Apples way of thinking is that they have an app for each thing, Contacts, Calendar, Email... They have a team for each one that only has to focus on making the one app and its function work good. They dont have to worry about all the teams trying to combine everything into one app and trying to get it all to work together without problems (like MS does).

A lot of stuff your asking for can already be done for those apps its just a matter of getting out of the MS Outlook way of thinking.

I've also been using OS 4.0 and there are updates to these apps making them more usable. I love how they now give you the option to check all emails for all your accounts in one inbox now.

I would love to know how these apps in the ipad already do what I'm asking. Tell me how to attach a document to an email, or link a contact to a calendar event. You say that you can't see a reason to attach a document to a contact, I own a wedding photography business, www.cjgrace.com (shameless plug) and I need to be able to attach a copy of my customers contract, itinerary for the wedding, etc. to their contact profile.

The bottom line is I have had Mac's and PC's. I am not posting this post to get in the old argument pitting one against the other. I just want something that works.

OP
C

cjgrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cjgrace.com
Hi Bill

The applets on the iPad don't come close to the functionality of Outlook.

I'd love to be able to "drag" and e-mail message to my ToDo list and automatically create an item, or to drop a threaded message into a meeting.

Perhaps we should all be e-mailing the Documents To Go folks about their next iPad product?

I couldn't agree more. It is amazing that with all the smart creators and companies wanting to profit off of the mobile app tsunami that they haven't come up with an awesome organizer yet. I know I'm not the only one looking for this functionality. Thanks for the post:)

OP
C

cjgrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cjgrace.com
?????????????????

I would love to know how these apps in the ipad already do what I'm asking. Tell me how to attach a document to an email? You say that you can't see a reason to attach a document to a contact, I run a wedding photography business, Cj Grace Photography - Journalistic Wedding Photography (shameless plug), and I need to be able to attach a copy of my customers contract, itinerary for the wedding, etc. to their contact profile.

The bottom line is I have had Mac's and PC's. I am not posting this post to get in the old argument pitting one against the other. I just want something that works.

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem with the way Outlook syncs with iPad (or iPhone, for that matter) is that I have no control over how they are displayed, i.e., by name or by company. It would be nice if I remembered every single one of the names in my 1,753 entries, but alas, I don't. I can usually remember the company though ... so if I could scroll through all the entries for XYZ Company, I could find it.

I just want the stuff on my iPad to look like the stuff in my Outlook ... filed by last name if I want, and company name if I prefer. After all, that's why Outlook has the "File As" field. But it doesn't carry over ...

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Todo for iPad is a pretty good application for some basic organization tasks. The price is a bit much considering what you get, however.

Moomtaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Palm had better apps

I used to be an avid palm user and they had some tremendous apps that tied in all of your basic productivity functions. You were able to schedule appointment from your contacts list. Actually what I would really like is to be able to schedule my contacts on my calendar right from the contact screen. Is that so hard? I was thinking about Bento but I think that the problem is that the Ipad doesn't have native calendar and todo databases. If it did then you could link them easier. I actually don't think it has a todo database at all.

It is a pain searching app after app for this functionality.

planemechanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want a FranklinCovey planner app. that would kick ***. I emailed them but they don't seem interested in joining the 21st Century.

clsales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem with the way Outlook syncs with iPad (or iPhone, for that matter) is that I have no control over how they are displayed, i.e., by name or by company. It would be nice if I remembered every single one of the names in my 1,753 entries, but alas, I don't. I can usually remember the company though ... so if I could scroll through all the entries for XYZ Company, I could find it.

I just want the stuff on my iPad to look like the stuff in my Outlook ... filed by last name if I want, and company name if I prefer. After all, that's why Outlook has the "File As" field. But it doesn't carry over ...

It sounds like you need DejaOffice! DejaOffice is a suite of contacts, calendar, tasks and notes apps for iPhone and iPad. Regarding your contacts, DejaOffice will let you sort by first, last, or company name. It shows the company name in the main contacts list, and you can also do a quick search to filter your contacts by a certain company.

iphone-contacts-vert.png

The screenshot above is for the iPhone, but you get the picture (DejaOffice is written specifically for the iPad to take advantage of the larger screen). DejaOffice uses the native contacts and calendar database on the iPhone/iPad, and is compatible with CompanionLink to sync with your PC. DejaOffice is available at no cost from the App Store and at www.dejaoffice.com

Most reactions

Latest posts