What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Organizer App

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys make great points, I love my iPad, but it is a long way from being able to replace my Macbook Pro. I find I can get by for about 1/2 a day before I run across something that makes me drag out the laptop.

Will there be apps one day that make it possible to abandon my laptop completely?

I think so, as we progress towards cloud computing, I think a small device like thie Ipad will be able to do everything for most people, we are just not there yet, give it time.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You guys make great points, I love my iPad, but it is a long way from being able to replace my Macbook Pro. I find I can get by for about 1/2 a day before I run across something that makes me drag out the laptop.

Will there be apps one day that make it possible to abandon my laptop completely?

I think so, as we progress towards cloud computing, I think a small device like thie Ipad will be able to do everything for most people, we are just not there yet, give it time.

I agree, I used my MacBook for 4 hours yesterday, editing an large email list for a class reunion. Took me about a minute of looking before I realized that Numbers was not on the MacBook, duh, but finally had to resort to OpenOffice Spreadsheet as just was not comfortable with the Numbers on the iPad. This is the First time I have used the MacBook except for ripping movies to put on the iPad and syncing the iPad since April 3rd.

The programs will come, because the money will flow toward these app makers. The hardware has only been out there 2 months and is exciting to look at the new iPhone capabilities and the OS updates as opening even more doors.

Anyone heard much from the naysayers who said the iPad would be a flop lately?? Why??? Cause their mouths are full of crow.

Moomtaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The app that would solve a lot

The one app that would solve a lot of the whole needing an app thing is datebook by pimilco software. It was awesome on the palm interface and it would do everything I need to do on my iPad in terms of client tracking and appointment setting. That is an awesome app. And if it came to the iPad I would actually pay for it. "a pirate, a pirate, a pirate goes argh"

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think what most people are looking for is going to be more than an app, it is going to be the linking of things together and that is only now starting to come with the next OS update.

dsulvett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Calendar - ToDo-Contacts in ONE program???

:confused:THis is incredible! This is my EXACT question. It absolutely blows me away that no one has developed something like OUTLOOK for the Ipad or iphone... i am looking for a contact manager, calendar and todo list ALL IN ONE program... sounds BASIC to me. But everyone wants to put individual programs out. For busy peope like myself, it just doesnt work at all....

The ipad calendar is good, but of course you cannot see a todo list...

NOW, before someopne decides to write use "ToDO" well, i already purchased that..absolutely does not do what a few people on here need. Why in the world would anyone say, use the seperate programs...?. Anyone know of anything that wil work???

ONE IMPORTANT NON NEGOTIABLE POINT - i need it to sync with outlook...

Last edited:

chewyofrats

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am also looking for something the same even though i use Chaos Intellect and have since it came out (tried outlook and act) on pc there is nothing i can find to compare with Ipad. I would like to use my pc 4 games and ripping a video but want 2 use my ipad 4 rest.:confused:

Moomtaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DejaOffice Response

:confused:THis is incredible! This is my EXACT question. It absolutely blows me away that no one has developed something like OUTLOOK for the Ipad or iphone... i am looking for a contact manager, calendar and todo list ALL IN ONE program... sounds BASIC to me. But everyone wants to put individual programs out. For busy peope like myself, it just doesnt work at all....

The ipad calendar is good, but of course you cannot see a todo list...

NOW, before someopne decides to write use "ToDO" well, i already purchased that..absolutely does not do what a few people on here need. Why in the world would anyone say, use the seperate programs...?. Anyone know of anything that wil work???

ONE IMPORTANT NON NEGOTIABLE POINT - i need it to sync with outlook...

Here is the response I received from DejaOffice It is good but for right now I am bouncing between that and Contact Journal.

I wrote:

Mobile Platform: iPad
Mobile Device Model: 32gb
Carrier:
Comments: Add logging ( call log, task complete log like contact journal), and scheduling to calendar and tasks from the contact screen and we will have THE business app on the iPad. That is it those two functions. To be able to schedule appointments from the contact module screen would be SOO tremendously helpful.

Thank you so much

[SIZE=-1]Thank you for your suggestion. By coincidence, these are planned updates. Scheduling Calendar and Task from the Contact screen is expected within the next two updates (by end of July). History logging will be added over the summer when we add a history database. Unfortunately, incoming call information is dependent on the Apple API (or lack thereof) but we will do what we can.

Tech Support
DejaOffice [/SIZE]

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also looking for a to do or task app like Outlook. I want to be able to set a task to repeat, for example, one week after the task is completed. So far I haven't found one. The ability to import what I already have in Outlook would be great, but I wouldn't object if I had to reenter them either.

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found a todo app that fits my specs. 2do: Tasks done in style. I can have a task repeat in a certain time frame after it is completed. For example watering plants. I want to water them weekly, but not on a certain day. If I miss it by several days and then watered on a specific day I might over water. This app allows me to set the task to reoccur a week after I actually complete the task.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked at several apps for this and, in the end, chose Pocket Informant HD.

I read that Pocket Informant was buggy but, in my (admittedly) limited experience, I’ve found no problems at all. It has a very nice user interface that's almost infinitely configurable - a complaint that many Forum members make about the iPad’s native ‘Calendar’ app. So you can choose how tasks, events, projects, appointments are colour coded and there is a wide choice of notifications and alarms - so, for example, you can have different alarm sounds for different categories of notifications.

Pocket Informant ‘sits on top’ of the iPad's native ‘Calendar’ app and (optionally) imports all entries that it finds there. They can be colour coded so they can be distinguished from entries made in Pocket Informant itself.

This is important because many other iPad apps use the native ‘Calendar’ app as the default place to put events, invitations etc. So, for example, if you are invited to a meeting by email and you receive that invitation in the iPad’s native ‘Mail’ app, that app can automatically (and quite cleverly) insert that invitation into the default calendar app. Without that integration between the native app and Pocket Informant, you'd have to enter those invitations all over again.

Pocket Informant has lots of ‘hidden’ features too. One of the reviewers remarked that part of the ‘fun’ of using Pocket Informant was discovering them!! The display is infinitely configurable - day, week, month, year at a time. Tasks, events, overdue tasks, projects, projects in progress etc etc all can be optionally displayed on the main calendar. Projects and tasks can have infinitely nested sub-tasks and projects - these can cleverly be integrated with GPS - so, say you needed to purchase some goods from the hardware store. Put that in a To-Do list and link it to the location of the hardware store using the iPad’s native ‘Maps’ app. Next time you’re driving past the hardware store, up pops the notification (‘Remember to purchase some 2â€x4†timber’).

Repeating events are very flexible too, with the ‘custom’ mode being infinitely (I keep using that word!) configurable. So, meetings that occur on the last Thursday and first Monday of every other month - no problem.

It can sync with external calendars - Google for example - and back-up is cool, it creates a backup file that you can email to yourself for safe keeping. If you lose your iPad or all your data is corrupted, that backup can be imported back into Pocket Informant with a single click.

You can create multiple diaries within Pocket Informant - say ‘Work’, ‘Family’, ‘Golf Club’ etc and have their entries optionally displayed on the main screen or restricted to the display of the individual diary. So it’s easy to check if there’s a clash between the golf tournament and your wife's birthday - and hide it if there is......

If you surf to the developer’s web-site, you can download for free a very comprehensive User Manual that will show you in detail what Pocket Informant can do.

The developers are constantly updating the program - always a good sign in my view.

As I said at the beginning, perhaps I'm not a particularly demanding user, but I’ve had no stability problems at all. I should add the usual disclaimer that I have no contact or other relationship with the developers of Pocket Informant other than being a very satisfied customer.

Tim
Scotland

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cjgrace said:
I can't believe that out of all the apps out there that there is not one with the basic capability of ancient Microsoft Outlook. The Ipad is the coolest thing ever and there are so many off the chart apps, it is hard to believe that not one manages email, calendar, contacts, to do's. There are seperate app's for each of these tasks but none that combine them to one daily organizer. Simple features like linking contacts to events in the calendar, linking documents to contacts profiles, attaching a document to emails, and push management for all of the above.

If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know. I love the ipad, I just wish I could find a solution that worked.

Thanks

No lie. I was also amazed that there wasn't something like a Franklin planner app. Heck my Palm Pilot was incredible for this task. I still use there desk top program, because it has everything in one place without jumping between several programs, or apps.

Fjsenzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Gmail for the purpose you describe. Contacts, mail and calendar work pretty well together. I do love the way I can see them the same way from my Mac Mini, iPad, iPhone and the Windows PC my employer insists is our chosen technology.

F

Most reactions

Latest posts