What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Or MacBook Air TV streaming or direct connect?

Mark1478

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when I use AirPlay from my iPad Air, iPhone 6 or MacBook Air to stream movies the picture quality isn't as good as advertised when it says 720 or 1080. Would a direct connection using a thunderbolt hdmi adapter to my tv provide a better picture? Thanks

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Possibly, if your router isn't working properly. I stream via wifi from my iPad and iMac to my Apple TV, and have no trouble getting HD if that's how the source was encoded.

Try resetting your router.

OP
M

Mark1478

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do u recommend the Apple router? Maybe I'll buy it give it a shot if not just return it. The blacks on 1080p are very foggy and poor when streaming from Netflix or web based stuff that claim 1080p

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
when I use AirPlay from my iPad Air, iPhone 6 or MacBook Air to stream movies the picture quality isn't as good as advertised when it says 720 or 1080. Would a direct connection using a thunderbolt hdmi adapter to my tv provide a better picture? Thanks

Do u recommend the Apple router? Maybe I'll buy it give it a shot if not just return it. The blacks on 1080p are very foggy and poor when streaming from Netflix or web based stuff that claim 1080p

Hi Mark - before spending a few hundred bucks on an AirPort Extreme router, please provide some more information: 1) What HDTV do you own (implies 720p, 1080i/p resolution); 2) What Apple TV do you use (my assumption of how you are using AirPlay); 3) What router (brand/model) are you using; 4) Is your streaming media HD; and 5) Have you streamed HD media from other sources (e.g. both my Blu-ray player & HDTV have Wi-Fi and menus for streaming), and if so, is the quality better?

As to your second question, if you have the proper cables then give a wired connection a try and let us know - Dave :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, what is your actual Internet speed? You won't get HD if you don't have enough bandwidth.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to Netflix home page preferences on your computer and force 1080p in selections NOT auto As some one flea mention you may have poor band width in your modem and wifi

Most reactions

Latest posts