What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting an iPad Air to a Sony Bravia with WiFi

Nicky dacks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if it possible to connect my iPad Air to my Sony Bravia KDL47W805a via wifi connection and then stream pictures or videos from the iPad to the TV.

I have opened up the WiFi direct settings on my TV and managed to get the ipad to connect to the TV from the iPad's wireless manager section.

Both the tv and the iPad are saying the connection has been sustained, however when i try and play a video file on the ipad i cant seem to get it to show on my tv.

i was wondering if i need an app to stream effectively?

streaming with youtube works fine, as does netflix with the display select drop down working instantly

i was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and could help me!

thank you for reading my post

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See if an app like Twonky Beam can assist you there. If the TV is DLNA compatible, it should provide a method of streaming to the Bravia.

Alternatively, get an Apple TV and hook it up to the TV. Then you can just Airplay from any compatible app.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sister recently bought a Sony Bluray player with built in wifi. The menu looks the same as the one on my Bravia TV. I downloaded 2 free apps from the app store and was able to connect my iPad Air to the player and show photos and little videos from my camera. iMediaShare is a Sony app that I needed to connect the iPad so that the player recognized it as a device. You may not need this since you say that you've already connected your iPad. Then I installed TVSideView and that enabled me to show photos. The TVSideView people also have an app for playing videos but i didn't try that. I have an Apple TV at home and the photo presentation is much smoother and faster, but the delays with the player could be a limitation of my sister's wifi setup. Anyway, its free to try.

My brother-in-law is a very patient fellow and he must have spent 30 minutes on the phone with Sony support to get the names of the apps!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as I know, the iPad does not support miracast tech, which is what your TV uses to display the contents of a tablet to the TVs screen.

Using Screen Mirroring

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure if you tried this yet but it can't hurt. Reset your network settings and then do a hard reboot of the iPad. To reboot, hold down the power switch and the home button until you see the apple logo on your screen. The network settings can be found in the settings app. If you reset network settings you'll have to yep in the passwords and all that again but it might help.

OP
N

Nicky dacks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys. So far I have tried twonky beam app. Which does work! However the pictures and videos are all rotated to the left.. I'm going to play around with the settings and other apps till I can get one that's smooth.

Thanks for the input!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or get the AV HDMI adapter from Apple, along with an HDMI cable. I don't think any other wifi method beyond Apple TV is going to work on a non-jail broken iPad.

Most reactions