What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Retina Display Said to be in Production

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
iPad_mini.JPG

iDownload Blog reports today that according to a new story that appeared today on Chinese website My Drivers, AU Optronics has just begun mass production of the iPad mini 2’s Retina display panels. My Drivers says that according to its sources, the iPad mini 2’s production cost has already exceeded $200 per unit, which is slightly more than the $188 per unit that HIS estimated for the original iPad mini. IHS says that with introduction of a Retina display could put as much as 30% on the next iPad mini’s bill of material. This latest news follows on from the apparent leak of new pictures yesterday of an iPad mini 2 back panel, and could be a further indication that production has begun in earnest. Apparently DigiTimes also reported this morning that panel shipments for the iPad mini surpassed five million in January 2013, with AU Optronics making 1.5 million of those, and LG Display making 3.6 million. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] AU Optronics reportedly started mass producing iPad mini 2 Retina panels

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm. I think the 128GB full-size model is too pricey, but if the Mini2 has retina display, gets a 128GB version and comes in at around the same price or less than a 64GB full-size model, I'd consider it.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm. I think the 128GB full-size model is too pricey, but if the Mini2 has retina display, gets a 128GB version and comes in at around the same price or less than a 64GB full-size model, I'd consider it.

Ummm... That's never gonna happen. They can't give it away lol.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm rooting for a retina iPad with 128GBs and the latest guts. Well, a woman can dream, lol.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still find myself wondering about the characteristics of a mini with a retina display. I noticed a difference between then iPad 2 and the iPad 3. To me, the mini has the best features of an iPad 2. I worry that a retina mini will be to the mini as the 3 is to the 2, I.e., heavier and warmer, with longer charging times and quicker draining times. I kind of like my mini as it is...though I'd love more storage and more ram. Yeas, the retina screen is indeed lovely, but it comes at a price. I might hang back and see just what the retina mini *is* before I make the jump.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ummm... That's never gonna happen. They can't give it away lol.

What are you basing that on? The criteria I outline above is an iPad Mini under $829, the current price of a 64GB iPad. The wi-fi+cellular Mini is currently $170 cheaper than the full-size model, meaning a 128GB version should come in at $759 - $70 cheaper than a full-size 64GB model. Basically, all they need to do is keep the same pricing structure when they upgrade to a Retina display, which seems likely. Even if prices go up, there's a $70 buffer. That strikes me as not just possible, but probable.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still find myself wondering about the characteristics of a mini with a retina display. I noticed a difference between then iPad 2 and the iPad 3. To me, the mini has the best features of an iPad 2. I worry that a retina mini will be to the mini as the 3 is to the 2, I.e., heavier and warmer, with longer charging times and quicker draining times. I kind of like my mini as it is...though I'd love more storage and more ram. Yeas, the retina screen is indeed lovely, but it comes at a price. I might hang back and see just what the retina mini *is* before I make the jump.

Price will be a huge factor for people too. If its a huge up charge and alls you get is the retina display I bet people stay with what they have. Even us apple shoppers are price conscious to some extent.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Price will be a huge factor for people too. If its a huge up charge and alls you get is the retina display I bet people stay with what they have. Even us apple shoppers are price conscious to some extent.

They didn't do that from iPad 2 to iPad 3/4. So, I see no reason to do that here, but we will see.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Retina in an iPad mini ... not really needed in my opinion. I love the screen on my iPad2, and mini is sharper because it is smaller. All Retina will do is increase cost, weight, and demand more battery power. Not the direction I am interested in. If I want Retina buy the iPad4. The bigger screen is more useful in mapping, medical photos, and photography. Design is a trade-off process.

One of the Cool things Apple is best at is resisting all the goodies in one package. Their software is great, but will get better now that Scott Forstall is gone. I can see the ability to present two screen simultaneously, quick link to Drop Box ... better than iCloud because it is universal and all varieties of computers can access the files... this is underway, just not being talked about. Apple is smart ... why spill the beans when they haven't been cooked (processed yet).

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Retina in an iPad mini ... not really needed in my opinion. I love the screen on my iPad2, and mini is sharper because it is smaller. All Retina will do is increase cost, weight, and demand more battery power. Not the direction I am interested in. If I want Retina buy the iPad4. The bigger screen is more useful in mapping, medical photos, and photography. Design is a trade-off process.

I agree...I just purchased a Mini and even though the Retina screen on the iPad 4 is nice, I'm perfectly satisfied with the Mini's screen. I doubt if I purchase a Mini 2 if/when it is released with a Retina screen. I'll probably just wait till the iPad 5 comes out and hopefully be able to purchase the iPad 4 at a discount, with at least 32gb (if they have it).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions