What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Newbie Cable Questions

canmorechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and apologies in advance for these questions...I searched for answers but couldn't find 'em...

I have had an iPad 2 since they first came out and just got a Mini a few weeks ago. I know just enough to make me annoying.
My questions:

- can I safely use OEM cables...specifically charging cables...I hate the length of the Apple cable (way too short). I ordered another cable from Apple and it is the same stupid length as the cable that came with the Mini. I have 17 USB cables...I counted...am I better off using the USB to Lightning adapter?

- if I can use OEM cables, is a USB to Lightning cable the correct one - is there a different, generic name? are these the same as USB to Micro?

- can I charge the Mini with my iPad charger? safely?

- has anyone had any luck watching iTunes on their Samsung TV? the USB to Lightning cable adapter isn't working for this. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use a USB extention cable to make the apple cable longer. that is a better way to go, most likely, then buying 3rd party cables that promise to work with iOS devices. Lots of times they don't.

OP
C

canmorechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!!!

Since I ordered an extra charger/cable for my iPad 2, I will just use that puppy. Its a six footer, I think. I was just worried I would screw up my Mini if I used a 'stronger' charger.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
canmorechick said:
Thanks for your help!!!

Since I ordered an extra charger/cable for my iPad 2, I will just use that puppy. Its a six footer, I think. I was just worried I would screw up my Mini if I used a 'stronger' charger.

No, it's perfectly safe to use a charger for the full size iPad when charging your mini. I use my iPad 3 charger to charge all my iPads, including the mini, as well as my iPhone 5.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!!!

I use my regular iPad charger on my mini all the time...and it charges very quickly. I don't think you need to worrry.

Most reactions

Latest posts