What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Could Eventually Outsell the Regular-Sized iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_kotaku_report.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on a new note to investors from analyst Brian White from Topeka Capital Markets, who says that if and when Apple does release a mini version of the iPad (which is likely to happen before the end of the year), it could well go on to be even more successful than the regular 9.7-inch version which is currently on the market. White says that if Apple price the iPad mini at around $250 to $300, it could have a big impact, especially in developing markets such as China. White also thinks that a smaller iPad would prove to be particularly popular in the education market, with younger children possibly getting on better with a more portable device, and the lower price also being a big selling point for cash-strapped education authorities, no doubt. Finally, White said what many of us are probably already thinking ourselves, that there will also be those customers who will want to own both a regular sized iPad and an iPad mini, and use them for different purposes. Hands up those of us who are already thinking that!

Source: 'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I think a mini would be highly successful, I'd say the main reason for it would simply be the expected lower price point. If I'm already owning an iPad, I have no clue what compel me to fork out another $300 for a smaller version of the same thing.

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I have absolutely no desire for a half-sized tablet that can neither display more visible screen than the iPad, nor be as pocket-sized as the iPhone. Seems like the worst of both worlds. :p

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. Tried the Kindle Fire but returned it. It was just too small for watching movies and other visuals.. The iPad is just thw right size. It's a good idea for Apple to offer choices, however.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not downgrade to a half-size iPad. My 3rd generation is just the perfect size, as others has said. It is about the size of a hardcover book, which makes everything on it easy to read, and it fits perfectly in my purse. Anything smaller and I may as well just use my phone.

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
susanlackey said:
I would not downgrade to a half-size iPad. My 3rd generation is just the perfect size, as others has said. It is about the size of a hardcover book, which makes everything on it easy to read, and it fits perfectly in my purse. Anything smaller and I may as well just use my phone.

I agree 100%

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had my iPad 2 for a year and it has repaced 99% of my need for my MacBook Pro and iPod Touch, but I really wished I'd had an iPad mini while traveling to and from a family event last month. My iPod Touch is simply not big enough for me to comfortably complete tasks. I need an iPad mini.

Having to carry my iPad around while mingling with relatives was a bit of a drag but the alternative, leaving it in the hotel's safe, seemed just as inconvenient as leaving one's smartphone in a hotel safe. I don't own a smartphone and I'd truly miss the maps app for getting directions while in a new locale, and I needed my more work intensive apps and ability to comfortably surf the Web while traveling by mass transit both to and from the family event.

Later this summer, I want to visit my aging parents to help them move out of their increasingly unsafe country and I'd prefer having something smaller and more inconspicuous than an iPad. If the smaller device were stolen, and unfortunately that is a truly serious possibility, it would be financially easier for me to replace it.

In his article on "Why Apple MUST Repond to Amazon and Google with an iPad mini," Christian Ziberg (on iDownloadBlog) states that the most salient feature of a mini is the convenience of the ecosystem. I concur with his viewpoint: The convenience of having all my apps and documents available for download from a service I currently use is a deal breaker, especially while I'm in transit.

If Apple were to jump into the market, I'd definitely buy an iPad mini.

Allyson

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I've had my iPad 2 for a year and it has repaced 99% of my need for my MacBook Pro and iPod Touch, but I really wished I'd had an iPad mini while traveling to and from a family event last month. My iPod Touch is simply not big enough for me to comfortably complete tasks. I need an iPad mini.

Having to carry my iPad around while mingling with relatives was a bit of a drag but the alternative, leaving it in the hotel's safe, seemed just as inconvenient as leaving one's smartphone in a hotel safe. I don't own a smartphone and I'd truly miss the maps app for getting directions while in a new locale, and I needed my more work intensive apps and ability to comfortably surf the Web while traveling by mass transit both to and from the family event.

Later this summer, I want to visit my aging parents to help them move out of their increasingly unsafe country and I'd prefer having something smaller and more inconspicuous than an iPad. If the smaller device were stolen, and unfortunately that is a truly serious possibility, it would be financially easier for me to replace it.

In his article on "Why Apple MUST Repond to Amazon and Google with an iPad mini," Christian Ziberg (on iDownloadBlog) states that the most salient feature of a mini is the convenience of the ecosystem. I concur with his viewpoint: The convenience of having all my apps and documents available for download from a service I currently use is a deal breaker, especially while I'm in transit.

If Apple were to jump into the market, I'd definitely buy an iPad mini.

Allyson

The new iPhone with a larger screen would solve this issue, however a larger screen on a device that can slip into a pants pocket will certainly be prone to damage, the amount of times I have knocked my iPhone on desks I'm surprised the screen hasn't cracked, fortunately it always faces away from sharp objects.

However the ladies can easily slip this into their bags, so it will be more popular with them no doubt :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I wouldn't consider it a downgrade, because if I bought one, it would be in addition to the full-size model. I have two iPads, iPhone and touch 4, and I still found use for a Samsung Galaxy Note, a 5" phablet. For me, it's like purses -- nice to have different sizes for different occasions, lol.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I wouldn't consider it a downgrade, because if I bought one, it would be in addition to the full-size model. I have two iPads, iPhone and touch 4, and I still found use for a Samsung Galaxy Note, a 5" phablet. For me, it's like purses -- nice to have different sizes for different occasions, lol.

Totally agree. No such thing as too much high tech.

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my company has under 5 staff, ground staff travel between retail outlets to stock take and top up of goods, so requiring them to carry cartons. Each of them carries ipad2s or 3s which are 3G and installed with software that have full ERP access to warehouse, as well as issue invoice, query stock, or e-sign documents. Think fedex style. Currently the ipads require 2 hand operation as well as a seperate bag to lug around.

With something 7-8 inch, it will fit in cargo pants and the ipad 2/3s will be left in the warehouse for staff stocktake and other task where there is luxury or extra hands to hold them. We just hope there is 3G and 4G versions, else it wont work for us.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This; there are times when the iPad is just a little too big to take along, and the iPhone version of an iPad App i want to use isn't *quite* the same. I'd love an iPad mini (as above, in addition to my two iPads and iPhone and iPods) - but I suspect what we'll end up with is an iPod+

Sande

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PatS said:
✋ddc4dddc4c

I would buy one in addition to my iPad. Kids would love it; cheaper than iPad; easily transported. Add Adobe flash to Apple, would even more dominate the market.

Most reactions

Latest posts