What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad live video INPUT

JordieGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've always been able to remote record on the sky+ app on my ipad2, but now all of a sudden it's not working. Does anyone know why?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Garry Anderson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a similar application to MrPlumber, I would like to use my iPad 2 as a portable device for inspecting behind drywall in houses. A bore-hole / pin-hole camera with night vision plus white LED lighting for less than $50 only requires a hole to be drilled about 4 mm or 1/4 inch for inspection purposes, making it easy to plug up the hole in the drywall afterwards. These cameras do not have WiFi output, only a cable. The white LEDs are also powered via the USB cable. It makes no sense to lug around my MacBook Pro for the simple purpose of a video monitor and iMovie to record the inspection. The bore-hole / pin hole cameras come in two models: USB or Composite Video. It would be a real oversight if the USB Kit for the iPad2 were not capable of reading USB camera data from such a bore-hole camera, when it can read USB file data from an SD card or Digital Camera with a DICM file structure. I don't see the problem as being a hardware limitation but more of a software limitation. Nobody has been willing or able to write an APP for this type of application, most likely because the home-inspection market is not big enough to recover the development cost. However, if somebody does develop an APP to read USB camera data in real time from the USB Kit into the iPad 2, please let me know. Both MrPlumber and I would be your first customers. Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Garry Anderson said:
In a similar application to MrPlumber, I would like to use my iPad 2 as a portable device for inspecting behind drywall in houses. A bore-hole / pin-hole camera with night vision plus white LED lighting for less than $50 only requires a hole to be drilled about 4 mm or 1/4 inch for inspection purposes, making it easy to plug up the hole in the drywall afterwards. These cameras do not have WiFi output, only a cable. The white LEDs are also powered via the USB cable. It makes no sense to lug around my MacBook Pro for the simple purpose of a video monitor and iMovie to record the inspection. The bore-hole / pin hole cameras come in two models: USB or Composite Video. It would be a real oversight if the USB Kit for the iPad2 were not capable of reading USB camera data from such a bore-hole camera, when it can read USB file data from an SD card or Digital Camera with a DICM file structure. I don't see the problem as being a hardware limitation but more of a software limitation. Nobody has been willing or able to write an APP for this type of application, most likely because the home-inspection market is not big enough to recover the development cost. However, if somebody does develop an APP to read USB camera data in real time from the USB Kit into the iPad 2, please let me know. Both MrPlumber and I would be your first customers. Thanks.

The largest obstacle to such a device is indeed a hardware obstacle. The iPad would be incapable of supplying enough power to operate such a device.

Last edited:

Scottex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems there's something called eyeTV mobile can receive TV. Video input should be possible on iPad.
Reviving this thread since it was a real interesting read and I need a similar solution. Why didn't anyone react on the post above? I had the same thought as the poster... It clearly shows the badly wanted input is possible. If you can watch TV on your ipad (DVB-T) the next step would be to get rid of the antenna and connect an RCA video connector onto it through the use of a RCA to DVB-T connector which can be found on Alibaba for example. Dunno if it would work out of the box, but it should work. Same goes for the poster who suggested the AXIS M7001 video converter.. The super moderator stated "He doesn't want it on wifi, he needs a hardwire connection. How does this accomplish what he is looking for?" Well, if you'd use the apple ethernet connector for ipad you'd have your analog feed through the mini video converter, comes out as a data signal on utp cable, back in the utp receiver connected on your ipad. Still more elaborate than a direct link, but a relative small setup all in all. As long as you can translate an analog signal to data, it can be fed in the ipad, right? If you have the USB adapter for the Ipad, it could very well be as simple as an RCA to USB connectorEDITED Good luck!
Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with theForum Rules No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Basically what would need to happen is for a developer to come up with a hardware/app combination to do what is required. Hardware alone won't do it because the software or programming is not in place to deal with a video signal, hence why an app is also required. A dongle that is programmed to take an analog signal and convert to digital before passing to the iPad is the scenario you are after. The iPad itself cannot do that.

Raddi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just registered to bringt the thread back to life again.
I read all the solutions you posted and i'm looking myself for a solution about some weeks now.
I just bought an iPad and want to use A/V or Composite inputs on my iPad. As you pointed out, there is no cable or adapter that will connect to the iPad directly and transmit the video into the iPad.

But i think you all know the wireless DVB-T transmitters right? Like the Tivizen Nano or Elgato EyeTV W. They connect via Wi-Fi to the iPad and they do not require any internet connection.
So you just power on the Tivizen Nano and you get live-TV over Wi-Fi to the iPad, without any other requirement.

And now i just found the PCTV Broadway 2T, just google it. It can stream DVB-T to the iPad and miuch more important, it has composite input and can stream ANY composite / A/V-source to the iPad, you can connect a camera or a receiver or a ps3/xbox over composite to the Broadway 2T and it will stream the live Video to the iPad.
The only negative thing is: IT REQUIRES A WLAN-ROUTER TO CONNECT TO :-(.

So we have DVB-T Wireless-Streaming-Devices, which stream Video without any other requirement to the iPad and we have a Composite-Stream-Solution which require a WLAN-Router,
WHY IS THERE NO DEVICE WHICH COMBINES BOTH?! Maybe some of you have heard of a device like that?

A wireless Composite-Stream-Device which has the WLAN-Router built-in so it does not need any other hardware to stream the composite to the iPad?
Come on :-(

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just registered to bringt the thread back to life again. I read all the solutions you posted and i'm looking myself for a solution about some weeks now. I just bought an iPad and want to use A/V or Composite inputs on my iPad. As you pointed out, there is no cable or adapter that will connect to the iPad directly and transmit the video into the iPad. But i think you all know the wireless DVB-T transmitters right? Like the Tivizen Nano or Elgato EyeTV W. They connect via Wi-Fi to the iPad and they do not require any internet connection. So you just power on the Tivizen Nano and you get live-TV over Wi-Fi to the iPad, without any other requirement. And now i just found the PCTV Broadway 2T, just google it. It can stream DVB-T to the iPad and miuch more important, it has composite input and can stream ANY composite / A/V-source to the iPad, you can connect a camera or a receiver or a ps3/xbox over composite to the Broadway 2T and it will stream the live Video to the iPad. The only negative thing is: IT REQUIRES A WLAN-ROUTER TO CONNECT TO :-(. So we have DVB-T Wireless-Streaming-Devices, which stream Video without any other requirement to the iPad and we have a Composite-Stream-Solution which require a WLAN-Router, WHY IS THERE NO DEVICE WHICH COMBINES BOTH?! Maybe some of you have heard of a device like that? A wireless Composite-Stream-Device which has the WLAN-Router built-in so it does not need any other hardware to stream the composite to the iPad? Come on :-(

You cannot have a dongle that will do the job of the Broadway as it needs some beefy processing and power requirements that the iPad cannot provide. Actually, this piece of hardware is a good solution for a number of people who have posted here in the past.

I do not think needing a wifi network/router is a big deal as you pretty much need to have that anyway when using an iPad, especially the wifi only models.

Schnuffl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hallo, is it possible to use the left audio channel to bypass low video in. An than we only need a Programm witch make a live Video Screen from that "sound"....

bt1098

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know how to do this. Not sure quality of video, but it should be marginally degraded from the source up to SVGA resolution(600 x 800). I am considering a kickstarter campaign to fund production, and would be interested in hearing how much support this would gather. Cost is expected to be $500 or less.

Thanks,
Brian

payton1394

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know how to do this. Not sure quality of video, but it should be marginally degraded from the source up to SVGA resolution(600 x 800). I am considering a kickstarter campaign to fund production, and would be interested in hearing how much support this would gather. Cost is expected to be $500 or less.

Thanks,
Brian

You a day late and a dollar short. Teradek is already making a product to do this. The Teradek Clip is the most inexpensive solution that accepts and HDMI signal and transmits it to an IOS device or web browser via Wifi with a maximum latency of 4 frames, at 30 fps that not much (they even have their own app in the app store). It retails for $599. It was designed for unmanned aerial drones but has a practical use on the ground too. For a more professional application Teradek makes a step up model that will accept HD-SDI the Teradek Cube and it runs about $1200.

Both of these devices can function with or without the use of a wireless router because they have the ability to create their own wifi network.

Last edited:

kwekwe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new GoPro Hero 3 with built in wifi coupled with the ipad app will do it

JoshuaSingh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
interesting conversation. I'm also looking for an iPad solution as we want to control the Canon 5D MK III 's vid settings (plus a liveview monitor) via an application. We're using it right now on ground level, in some years in mid-air (camera mounted on an octocopter).
First of all, there is a solution coming (or at least I think so). The developer Chainfire from xda-developers already created a pretty cool App called "DSLR Controller", which lets you control your whole camera (USB or WIFI) - LiveView, shutterspeed, ISO, F-stop, time lapse, video.
But: it's just for Android. You're able to control Canon cameras only. And it's still in beta....
Some days ago I found a video on YT which shows Chainfire working on an iOS solution. :thumbs: He used a jailbreaked iPad mini, a 5D, Apple's camera connection kit and the camera's USB cable. As you can see he is already using the iPad as an external monitor - with about 30 FPS.
You can find it here: youtu [.] be / Y21D2l2TL2I
I know there are some other solutions like CamRanger or even Capture Pilot if you're using one of PhaseOne's IQ2 digital backs (lol) but I think DSLR Controller is the most powerful app in this segment.

Sooo, I guess we will just have to wait and see until he releases it ;)

Joshua

Last edited:

actiondoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad as video montior

Teradyx out of grass valley has a wireless sender that your attached to any video camera through usb or hdmi it sends a closed wifi that your ipad can monitor in real time. Its expensive about $1200.00 you can be up to 300ft we use to monitor shots in car cases etc in real time.

Most reactions