iPad live video INPUT

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Dylanand, Jun 2, 2010.

1. mrinal

mrinal iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey

im looking for a for the same thing.
    but mine is not in the sky, its on the road. im planning to make my ipad as a in car enterntainment system, it'll be used for navigation, music, browsing the net,
    etc, im looking to enhance the ipad screen mounted as on my center consol in the car, i wanna attach a thermal camera for the front which will help in night driving, and a rear camera for parking.
    it'll be really cool to do tht.
  2. MTZ

MTZ iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking for the exact same thing. I would like to say again that for this option money is no obstacle. I do aircraft engine inspections and travel constantly so the IPad would be great. I want to hook it to my video scope and use it as a remote monitor that is hardwired. I would like to record to it as well. The reason I would like the Ipad to work is for the ease and apps. When I am done working with it I can use the apps and internet etc. If someone wrote this app they could make a fortune.
  3. bkhiggins

bkhiggins iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Me too, would like to use my iPad as an external monitor for my HD Video Camera. Has anyone made any progress, modifying the iPad camera kit looks promising, but I am no developer...
  4. edjekdetje

edjekdetje iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Uvc

There is a way to get a video device connected to a UVC compatible operating system. I know that Mac, Windows and Linux are compatible.
    What I don't know is if iOS accepts UVC devices. I haven't really looked into the USB kit for the iPad. Looks kinda hopeful. I haven't yet checked if I could actually hook up an external video device to it.

As a freelance cameraman I am looking for a specific application I would love to use with video (TV / Film) production. I just bought a wireless camera system for a few bucks. It transfers 1 video signal and 1 audio signal.
    this is what I am planning to do:

Hardware
    - hook up the transmitter to the composite output of a broadcast camera
    - connect the timecode output to the audio input of the transmitter
    - the receiver connected with some kind of a UVC device which I can hook up to my iPad.

Software
    I'll have to write software to deal with the AV data
    - display the video feed (fullscreen or in window)
    - read the timecode from the audio signal
    - display the timecode
    - software detects when the camera starts / stops recording
    - create a thumbnail image, along with production notes (scene, shot info, etc)
    - export data to
    Final Cut / Avid files (XML)
    PDF document
    Excel document

This program would be awesome to use in a professional workflow. And... this might be something you guys are looking for.
    I am only wondering if I am the first person in the universe that came up with such an idea. I haven't found it yet.
  5. actiondoc

actiondoc iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes teradex has a cube that works from hdmi out from camera. it is its own wifi hub and links wireless to iPad. iPad works a monitor. Problem its about $1500.00 but works great...Im not a 3 so go to Teradek and look at the cube 250. this is the only way I know that works I would love to solve this cheaper..
  6. Mrplumber

Mrplumber iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would love if this is possible I am a plumber and would love to be able to hook up my iPad2 to my sewer camera
    RCA jacks to use it for the monitor and be able to record what we are veiwing as well.
  7. shouser144

shouser144 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to hook my iPad2 up to a video monitor in the OR to capture screen shots or video - possible? Otherwise for stills I have to print them out then scan them in = POOR resolution. I do have a capture system to pull video onto a memory stick which I can then process on iMovie - but I would like some high quality stills and I think the iPad screen capture could do it IF I could get the images onto the iPad. It seems everything is about sending images FROM iPad to TV, but nothing of the reverse, yet this thread proves there is a desire/need. Programmers get to it, please!
  8. Mhn

Mhn iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In a post on a different forum, i read that there is no Application Program Interface (known as API) for live video in the System Development Kit (known as SDK). Being so, a programmer would have to write one from scratch, an extremely costly, time consuming process. It would probably take a team of programmers several months. However, video from the network (from a web cam) is possible, so making a copy of that API and modifying it to have the video come from the audio / video connector (which is already available) should be relatively easy?, anyone out there?

I think that this functionality was not included for some ridiculous , sinister , unknown reason by Mr. J
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. Facae70560

Facae70560 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If the iPad's video circuitry is like the iPhone 4 / 4s at this point, it cannot be done. The video circuitry of iPhone / and possibly iPad is designed only for Video Out. Not Video in. I know what you are trying to do, and I am trying to do the same thing. I am hoping to stumble across a way to test our video cameras. for instance, hook up a video camera via RCA to Dock connector, to the iPhone, that way you get a live feed from the camera, and you can focus / adjust the camera without having to keep coming back to the main monitor to focus and adjust manually. you could just do it at the camera site itself via the video INPUT of the iPhone / iPad. Hoping someday, either Apple designs this feature into their devices. Would be a tremendous help. Hope this helps clear up things.
  10. Wokiebear

Wokiebear iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I ran across an app in Cydia today under Cydia Features (first pg), Then Screen Extentions called Display Recorder. I'm wondering if that would work.
  11. Luer

Luer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems there's something called eyeTV mobile can receive TV.
    Video input should be possible on iPad.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  12. ScoobyLovesIpad

ScoobyLovesIpad iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iRecord

You should be able to do what you want with an iRecord device.
    See www dot irecord dot com.
    I don't have one of these, but the technology sounds promising.
  13. rkflyer

rkflyer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This should do what you want - Composite video input, view in a browser or take a look at the Surveillance for AXIS Camera's app in the app store

www dot axis dot com/products/cam_m7001/index.htm

Ric
  14. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    Cool! The only downside it has no audio input, in other words it only transmits picture.
  15. naved

naved iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ipad video input

Hi,I think teachnically this is not possible as looking at the 30 pin out connector there is right and left audio line inputs but no option for composite or RGB video input.
  16. iPhonePaul

iPhonePaul iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    lcd controller for ipad2 as a PC monitor, etc

www dot lcdparts dot net/LCDCDetail.aspx?ProductID=4145
  17. stunner21

stunner21 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just thought I'd add my 2 cents to this conversation. I've kind of thought of a way you could do what you want to do whilst trying to accomplish my task which was to view my iphone screen on my ipad. If you want to put a camera view on your ipad then you could simply plug the camera into a laptop and bring up the camera display on there, then make use of a program called DisplayLink to extend your monitors to your laptop. If you then just drag the window displaying your camera into this extra monitor the live feed will then be displayed on your ipad. Just for extra knowledge, incidentally for my goal the same thing can be used to display the iphone screen by also using another program called AirServer to push the iphone screen to the laptop and through the same process as above then distribute the iphone screen to the ipad. Its a pretty long winded process but is a low cost solution for both goals so hope it helps anyone out there wanting to do this. Hopefully apple will add capability to do both these things eventually as it seems daft to have to do it this way, nevertheless an ends to a mean is better than nothing.
  18. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I think you are being insulting now, as people are trying to help you.

I have not seen what you are asking for done on the iPad. I do know there is a way to use the iPad as a second screen on a computer (PC or Mac) but I believe that requires wifi.
  19. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    He doesn't want it on wifi, he needs a hardwire connection. How does this accomplish what he is looking for?
  20. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    How is this to be used to accomplish what the OP wishes to do?