iPad live video INPUT

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Dylanand, Jun 2, 2010.

1. airforce1engineer

airforce1engineer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Dylanand. There are reasons why the ipad is needed for an external display. I am looking to use my ipad as an external Video display and it has nothing to do with just using it as a expensive monitor. It's that I'm using it in a mobile application. I have my Video camera mounted in my Jeep for off road filming. The ipad is mounted in my dash and needs to display what the video camera is capturing. So as you can see from my application needs, mounting another monitor in a vehicle is not exactly "practical" solution.

If someone knows of an appropriate app or hardwire solution for this, that would be great!

2. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I did read in another thread (cannot recall if it was here or elsewhere), that the dock connector does not have a pin for video input. Someone else can confirm.

The only way to get live video feed in would be to use a camera capable of outputting as a web cam and using a web cam application to display said image. You would have to create a wifi network wherever you are.

3. LovinItAll

LovinItAll
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No video input for the iPad 2, especially since an HDMI adapter is available, is just poor design. As many folks have pointed out, there are legitimate uses for the iPad as a monitor, and after purchasing the HDMI adapter yesterday, I was stunned to find out that A/V IN isn't an option.

The iPad does many things well, but Apple misses the mark on important functions time and again. I'm sure I'll get hammered for saying it, but Apple letting competitors offer solutions that should already be available on Apple's devices is what led them into trouble in the 90's.

Maybe the MS Surface will have A/V IN via HDMI. It would be enough for me to buy one....not that I'd ditch my iPad, of course.

4. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I am interested in knowing what other tablets have AV in? Not that I'm disputing it, I'm just clueless about anything Android.

5. simontay78

simontay78
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I believe one day every video out/in will be wireless via WIFI or some other technology, the wait will be over pretty soon...when someone make a DSLR/Camera that can connect to WIFI and send video out to an IP address in 720p quality...then an App can open that video live via IP and do whatever you want with it.

I got a feeling if Cannon or Nikon don't do that...Apple might do it.

6. JordieGirl

JordieGirl
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I've always been able to remote record on the sky+ app on my ipad2, but now all of a sudden it's not working. Does anyone know why?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

7. Garry Anderson

Garry Anderson
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    In a similar application to MrPlumber, I would like to use my iPad 2 as a portable device for inspecting behind drywall in houses. A bore-hole / pin-hole camera with night vision plus white LED lighting for less than $50 only requires a hole to be drilled about 4 mm or 1/4 inch for inspection purposes, making it easy to plug up the hole in the drywall afterwards. These cameras do not have WiFi output, only a cable. The white LEDs are also powered via the USB cable. It makes no sense to lug around my MacBook Pro for the simple purpose of a video monitor and iMovie to record the inspection. The bore-hole / pin hole cameras come in two models: USB or Composite Video. It would be a real oversight if the USB Kit for the iPad2 were not capable of reading USB camera data from such a bore-hole camera, when it can read USB file data from an SD card or Digital Camera with a DICM file structure. I don't see the problem as being a hardware limitation but more of a software limitation. Nobody has been willing or able to write an APP for this type of application, most likely because the home-inspection market is not big enough to recover the development cost. However, if somebody does develop an APP to read USB camera data in real time from the USB Kit into the iPad 2, please let me know. Both MrPlumber and I would be your first customers. Thanks.

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The largest obstacle to such a device is indeed a hardware obstacle. The iPad would be incapable of supplying enough power to operate such a device.

#48 scifan57, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  9. Scottex

Scottex
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Reviving this thread since it was a real interesting read and I need a similar solution. Why didn't anyone react on the post above? I had the same thought as the poster... It clearly shows the badly wanted input is possible. If you can watch TV on your ipad (DVB-T) the next step would be to get rid of the antenna and connect an RCA video connector onto it through the use of a RCA to DVB-T connector which can be found on Alibaba for example. Dunno if it would work out of the box, but it should work. Same goes for the poster who suggested the AXIS M7001 video converter.. The super moderator stated "He doesn't want it on wifi, he needs a hardwire connection. How does this accomplish what he is looking for?" Well, if you'd use the apple ethernet connector for ipad you'd have your analog feed through the mini video converter, comes out as a data signal on utp cable, back in the utp receiver connected on your ipad. Still more elaborate than a direct link, but a relative small setup all in all. As long as you can translate an analog signal to data, it can be fed in the ipad, right? If you have the USB adapter for the Ipad, it could very well be as simple as an RCA to USB connectorEDITED Good luck!

#49 Scottex, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  10. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Basically what would need to happen is for a developer to come up with a hardware/app combination to do what is required. Hardware alone won't do it because the software or programming is not in place to deal with a video signal, hence why an app is also required. A dongle that is programmed to take an analog signal and convert to digital before passing to the iPad is the scenario you are after. The iPad itself cannot do that.