What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad energy save- night mode-

selimhilmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an app. and in that app. most of the screen is white background. If i use the black screen instead of white (for example using the mode of 'night mode' or negative mode) can i save energy in my ipad? Comparing to white screen, can we say that black screen uses less power? Thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It depends on the type of screen. If I remember correctly the iPad's screen turns on pixels to block the back-light. That means a black screen uses slightly (very slightly) more power than a white screen. Some screen technologies do the opposite, turn off pixels to let light through. They would use slightly more power to show a white screen.

Either way, it is the back light that consumes most of the power when your iPad's display is turned on. Turning down the brightness, even a smidgen, will have a much larger impact on battery life than choosing a dark or light background. You are better off just keeping whatever background pleases you, and remembering to turn down the brightness when you don't need it.

It's also easier on your eyes when the iPad's screen is not dramatically dimmer or brighter than he surroundings, and you'll own your eyes a lot longer than you will the iPad. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts